Bring a bit of Disney into the comfort of your home (and spend some quality time with your family in the kitchen) when making these adorable Monsters Inc. inspired pop tarts!
You can make these fun Monsters Inc. inspired Pop Tarts right in your own home with this easy to follow recipe. Let’s get started!
Monsters Inc. Pop Tarts
FOR POP TARTS
- Flour (for dusting surface area)
- 2 store-bought pie crust dough sheets
- 1 jar of jam (I used strawberry and blueberry)
- Butter, melted
- 1 bag powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup meringue powder
- 2 Tbsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Lime green, leaf green, sky blue, and royal blue food coloring
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- 5 piping bags
- Piping bag tips (#2)
- Kitchen scissors
1.Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Start by lightly dusting your work area with a coating of flour to keep your dough from sticking. Unroll your pie crust dough and flatten with a rolling pin onto the flour-coated surface. Begin cutting 3 1/2” x 4 1/2” rectangles. Depending on the size and shape of your pie crust dough, you will only be able to get 2-3 rectangles from each crust.
3. Combine your scraps and continue to roll out the dough until it is used up. (From my 2 packs of pie crust dough, I was able to get 18 rectangles for 9 pop tarts.)
4. Next, take half of your rectangular dough cutouts and place 2 tablespoons of jam in the center of each.
5. Once complete, take the other half of your pie crust cutouts and place them on top of the jam filling. Seal it up by scoring the ends with a fork and vent by piercing the top layer with a toothpick. Brush the tops of each pop tart with melted butter and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
6. Allow to cool for 2 hours. During this time, you can start making the icing. Combine powder sugar, meringue powder, vanilla extract, and water. Split into 5 bowls for each of the colors.
7. Once the pop tarts have completely cooled, place the lime green icing (for Mike Wazowski) and sky blue icing (for Sulley) in piping bags with 1/4″ of the tips snipped off. Coat the top of the pop tarts with icing (avoiding the scored edges).
8. Allow about 30 minutes-1 hour for the base layer of icing to fully harden before proceeding with the piping details. Then, spoon the remaining 3 colors (leaf green, royal blue, and white) into 3 separate piping bags fitted with a tip.
9. Starting with the Mike Wazowski pop tarts, pipe a quarter-sized circle for his eye using the white icing. Next, grab the leaf green icing and create 2 triangular shapes above the eye for his horns and a half-circle shape for his mouth. Place a dime-sized circle in the center of the white circle to form his pupil. Lastly, switch back to the white icing and add a few triangular teeth and a highlight to the inner pupil.
10. For Sulley, grab your sky blue pop tarts and the piping bag with white icing. Form 2 dime-sized circles for his eyes and 2 small triangles below his right eye for the teeth. Next, with the royal blue icing make 2 crescent shapes above the eyes for his horns, a simple curved line for his smile, and a diamond shape for his nose. Add 2 small royal blue circles to the center of the eyes for his pupils.
Next, take the leftover sky blue icing and pipe stripes onto Sulley’s horns. Finish by using your remaining white icing to form 2 highlights on the pupils.
Let the icing set for about 1 hour before enjoying!
Other At-Home Disney Recipes
And if you are looking for other fun, make at home Disney treats be sure to check out some of our other easy to follow recipes:
- Make Gaston’s Famous Cinnamon Rolls At Home
- Make LeFou’s Brew In The Comfort Of Your Own Home
- Enjoy The Iconic Green or Blue Milk Inside Your Own House
- Recreate Ohana’s Bread Pudding
- Make The Famous “Grey Stuff” At Home
- Recreate California Grill’s Chocolate Lava Cake In Your Own Home
- Make Cream Cheese and Guava-stuffed French Toast In Your Kitchen
- Recreate The Delicious Disney Churro Inside Your Own Kitchen
- Make Pop’t Art From EPCOT’s Festival of the Arts In Your Own Home
- Make These Sweet Raspberry Macarons In Your Own Kitchen
- Recreate The Apple Strudel From Biergarten At Home
Will you be making these Mike and Sulley pop tarts with your family? Let us know in the comments.