We have updated this article since it’s original publication on April 10, 2019 under the title “Theme park additions – Which of the 19 adventures excites you” to include the most recent information, which can be found throughout the article.
We have had some amazing new and exciting Theme Park attractions arrive this year, with Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opening in Disneyland and Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure in Universal Orlando. But there are many more additions set to arrive soon which are sure to amaze guests. Over the next several months 17 possible new experiences will soon emerge at Disney and Universal theme parks.
Inside the Magic has gathered the goods on a happy host of planned and rumored additions that are sure to take your vacation to the next level. From new roller coasters and restaurants to entire themed lands, there’s plenty to enjoy!
The Walt Disney Company is moving full steam ahead with enhancements, improvement and additions to lure guests into amazing new themed environments and experiences. With new adventures featuring properties acquired over the past several years, like Marvel and Star Wars, expect over-the-top immersive thrills.
1. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – The most anticipated and ambitious addition to Disney’s arrives on both coasts. Disneyland has already had the honor of welcoming fans of the Force first (fitting, since Star Tours first landed at Disneyland in 1986) on May 31st. Walt Disney World Resort, in FL will see the East Coast version land on August 29th at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Both parks open with Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, for guests to enjoy. But a second attraction, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, will open at a later date during a second grand opening of the new land.
2. Star Wars Hotel – Set to seamlessly connect to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Central Florida, an all-new Star Wars Hotel is currently under construction, on the southern side of the movie themed amusement park. “Families visiting the Star Wars Hotel will board a starship that will come alive with characters and stories. Every cabin will provide a view of space, providing a truly out-of-this-world experience. Guests will also be invited to dress in a Star Wars-themed attire to truly blend in as a resident of this new galaxy.” – ITM
3. Tron Coaster – When Walt Disney World’s first theme park, the Magic Kingdom, celebrates its 50th anniversary, the computer-driven world of “TRON” will debut in Tomorrowland. Officially known as “Tron Lightcycle Power Run,” the roller coaster attraction has been thrilling guests at Shanghai Disneyland since June 2016.
4. Re-imagined Entrance – With a nod towards the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow version of Epcot that debuted in 1982, imaganieers unveiled sweeping changes to the resort’s (WDW) second theme park. Leave-a-legacy monuments have recently disappeared, giving way to more open space, extra pathways and additional green areas will soon enhance the park’s main entrance area.
5. Space Restaurant – Taking its theming queues from nearby Mission SPACE, Future World will soon have an out of this world dining experience. Giving guests the illusion of orbiting planet Earth, this exciting eatery will fill the space (pun intended) between Test Track and Mission SPACE.
6. Wonders of Live transformation – Dormant for a dozen years now, the health based Future World pavilion that once home to Star Tours clone, Body Wars, will soon receive new life. Perhaps as another nod to the original vision for Epcot, this exciting “play pavilion” is described Disney as an “innovative city.” Characters, interactive activities, and additional entertainment will soon (2021) swirl trough the shuttered attraction.
7. Guardians of the Galaxy – Arriving to celebrate Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary (2021), “Guardians of the Galaxy” moves into the former Universe of Energy location at Epcot’s Future World. The new indoor roller coaster will feature “immersive” ride vehicles designed to place guests into the heart of the action.
In addition to the aforementioned Guardians of the Galaxy coater, Disney will be making the most of its lucrative Marvel franchise. Marvel superhero experiences are destined for three of the company’s theme parks:
8. Disneyland will see additional entertainment join its recent “Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission Breakout” changes to Tower of Terror. These include an “Awesome Dance-off,” and character encounters. Future additions include plans for The Collector’s Warehouse (store), and two new attractions (Doctor Strange: Journey into the Mystic Arts, and a Spider-Man adventure)
9. Walt Disney Studios Park (Paris) will be adding an Iron Man roller coaster, Spider-Man attraction, and an Ant-Man inspired restaurant. These will join the current Spider-Man encounter in the Backlot area of the theme park
Soon to Arrive Adventures
10. Skyliner Gondolas – Already in testing and near completion at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, this new method of travel around the resort is geared towards getting guests to vacation destinations with ease. Dubbed “Disney Skyliner” this updated sky-ride is set to begin operation in fall.
11. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railroad – Racing through the former Great Movie Ride attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will also feature Goofy as the whimsical train’s conductor when it opens later this year at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
12. New Nighttime Magic – Walt Disney World has exciting evening entertainment experiences for fans to enjoy some of which have already debuted! Next “Epcot Forever” will enjoy a limited engagement as the replacement to “Illuminations: Reflections of Earth” this summer. This Christmas Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks will replace Holiday Wishes at Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
Imagineers at the Walt Disney Company aren’t the only ones bring fresh experiences to its parks. Universal Studios has more than a few new tempting treats to offer guests.
13. Fantastic Worlds – With all the recently acquired property near International Drive (Orlando, FL), rumors have been swirling of a fourth theme park for Universal Orlando Resort. Possibly called “Fantastic Worlds,” the new park could include some of the same attractions slated for forthcoming “Super Nintendo World” in Japan.
14. Super Nintendo World – Mario comes to Japan – Universal Studios Japan, that is, in 2020. Anchored by a “Mario Kart” attraction, the new expansion includes attractions, shops and restaurants inspired by colorful worlds of Super Nintendo’s gaming system.
15. Universal Studios Classic Monsters land – Universal Pictures invented the horror movie genre and built a deliciously dark legacy with classic creatures like Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Wolfman, The Insible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon and more. It seems only fitting that these legacy characters get their own dark land and attraction(s). While the company does pay tribute with the Classic Monster’s Cafe and Horror Make Up Show, rumors of horror-themed land emerged when “Fantastic Worlds” park was “leaked.” These stem from images of Dracula’s Castle as part of the discovered information.
As the theme park “wars” heat up, scores of new adventures await park visitors. This battle of the big parks has one clear winner – theme park guests.
Want to book a Theme Park vacation?
We highly recommend that if a Disney Park is in your plans that you book your next trip with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner at Academy Travel. Academy Travel can take care of every detail of your vacation for you so you can experience the excitement leading up to your Disney trip without the stress or worry of booking dining reservations and FastPass+, reserving your hotel, and even adding a Disney Dining Plan. If your plans have you going to Universal Studios Academy Travel is your best best too. Did you know Academy Travel books more Universal Studios and Disney Parks vacations than any other travel agency in the world! The Authorized Disney Vacation Planners at Academy Travel are highly knowledgeable of all the ins and outs of all types of theme park travel, so click here for your no-obligation quote or to chat with Academy Travel about booking your next trip.
Which of these 15 exciting adventures are you most looking forward to? Please share your wishes in the comments.