When you come on your Disney World vacation, the Disney performer’s and entertainer’s are often a very magical part of the experience. Many performers can also be quite niche, and something you can only find in Disney World!
With the recent massive lay off Disney conducted with almost 30,000 people losing their job, we also lost many performers. The loss is beyond unfortunate for Disney theme park goers and Cast Members. With the entertainment cuts we saw prior to the Disney World park closure to now, the entertainment options for Guests have unfortunately dwindled.
So let’s talk about what entertainment is no longer available at Disney, what has come back, or what modifications have been made. If you are heading to the theme parks soon, this list can help you know what to expect when you arrive, and know what offerings are available to you.
No Longer Available
At EPCOT, back in March we lost lots of entertainment performers contracted by Disney. These are performers who worked in the various pavilions around the World Showcase providing culturally themed entertainment.
- British Revolution – the band that made you sing along with a beer in hand (United Kingdom pavilion)
- Matsuriza – the lively drummers who you could hear as you walked into Japan (Japan pavilion)
- Master Juggler Sergio – the juggling clown act that could put a smile on anyones face (Italy pavilion)
- Serveur Amusant – the stacking-chair acrobats that made you feel riddled with anxiety but somehow they never failed (France pavilion)
Many Walt Disney World Resorts have also lost performers in spite of the recent cuts:
The Grand Floridian Orchestra – who did not know the last time they would be playing in the stunning lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian was going to be their last.
‘YeHaa’ Bob Jackson – one of Disney’s more lively performers from the River Roost Lounge at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort has been let go. You can still catch him on Sunday evenings on his Facebook Live at the moment.
Polynesian Resort Performers – who created an authentic South Pacific experience at Disney’s Polynesian Resort.
Return Date Unknown
There are also may entertainment offerings at Walt Disney World that have been taken away with no return date in sight. The negotiations between Disney and the Actors Equity Association may also cater to why many of these shows have yet to return. Here are some of the large offerings that you cannot currently enjoy:
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast – the stage show at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is not yet slated to return. There has been a modified version of the show with The Disney Society Orchestra playing classic Disney tunes on stage with some of the characters.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! – at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is not currently looking so epic.
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid – at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in not going ‘Under the Sea’ at the moment, but they have recently refurbished their signage.
- Fantasmic! – at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is the epic nighttime spectacular that has not gone into Mickey Mouse’s dreams since March.
- Finding Nemo: The Musical – at Disney’s Animal Kingdom is still awaiting it’s turn to enter back into the big blue world.
- Disney’s Festival of the Lion King – at Disney’s Animal Kingdom is awaiting to reopen although clues hint that the festival may be returning shortly.
- Rivers of Light – at Disney’s Animal Kingdom is another evening show that is closed for now.
- HarmonioUS / EPCOT Forever – EPCOT’s nighttime show should have been HarmonioUS at this point but due to the closure no firework show has returned to the park and we are not sure which will return or debut, but testing is underway.
- Happily Ever After – at Magic Kingdom is one of Disney’s biggest entertainment offerings that is still awaiting it’s return.
- Festival of Fantasy – at Magic Kingdom is the daily parade that happens at the theme park. Character Cavalcades and mini-parades have taken it’s place for now.
- Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire – at Magic Kingdom is the stage show with Mickey and all of his friends. The show still remains unavailable to Guests.
All of us at Inside The Magic will keep you updated on any possible return of entertainment offerings at the Walt Disney World Resort. We do hope to see the return of many lost offerings in the future once park capacity is able to return to normal.
If you want to see what entertainment offerings are available at Disney World yourself, why not book a Disney vacation? Our pals at Academy Travel can help you get started today!
Do you think Disney World’s entertainment offerings are worth the trip right now? Let us know!