D23 recently shared some unique and fun facts as well as distinct details about Disney attractions found at Disney Parks all around the world!
Walt Disney World Resort
Let’s start over in Orlando, Florida, where the most magical place on Earth lives — Walt Disney World! Here, Guests can find several classic rollercoasters including Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster, and of course, Expedition Everest.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
Date opened: April 7, 2006
- At 199 feet, Expedition Everest is the tallest mountain at any Disney park.
- The largest drop throughout the attraction is approximately 80 feet.
- Vehicles reach top speeds of around 50 miles per hour while trying to escape the Yeti.
Next up — Let’s head across the country to California, home to Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure. Within these theme parks, Guests can enjoy Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, the Incredicoaster, and of course, the Matterhorn Bobsleds.
Disneyland: Matterhorn Bobsleds
Date opened: June 14, 1959
- The Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction was the first tubular steel roller coaster in the world. It was also the first roller coaster to use a block zone system, which allows for multiple vehicles to be on the track at the same time.
- Towering 147 feet above Fantasyland, the Matterhorn is a 1/100th scale snow-capped version of Switzerland’s most famous mountain.
- The Fantasyland side track of Matterhorn Bobsleds is roughly 100 feet longer than the Tomorrowland side track.
Tokyo Disney Resort
Over in Tokyo Disney Resort, Guests can enjoy rollercoasters including Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Gadget’s Go Coaster, and the popular coaster, Raging Spirits.
Tokyo DisneySea: Raging Spirits
Date opened: July 21, 2005
- The design of the attraction’s fire idol was inspired by the look of Emperor Kuzco’s temple from Disney’s The Emperor’s New Groove (2000).
- The hands of the pocket watch inside the archaeologist’s field office are set to the time 7:17 to commemorate the opening day of Disneyland (July 17, 1955).
- Raging Spirits is the first and only looping roller coaster at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
Over in Disneyland Paris, Guests can enjoy rollercoasters including Star Wars Hyperspace Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones™ and the Temple of Peril, and the popular attraction, Crush’s Coaster.
Walt Disney Studios Park: Crush’s Coaster
Date opened: June 9, 2007
- Guests board giant turtle-shell ride vehicles, facing forwards and backwards. All early scenes of the attraction are designed to delight both forward- and backward-facing guests. Then, once in the East Australian Current, the shells begin to spin freely, swooping and diving along the twisting track.
- The underwater world of Finding Nemo (2003) is created by special “illusioneering” effects that use absolutely no water. Through other special technologies, Nemo and Squirt talk and move right along with guests.
- The English-speaking Crush guests hear in the attraction is voiced by Andrew Stanton, the writer and director of Finding Nemo.
Hong Kong Disneyland
Heading to Hong Kong Disneyland? Be sure to check out the rollercoasters within the theme parks there, including Hyperspace Mountain, RC Racer, and the popular attraction, Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars.
Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars
Date opened: July 14, 2012
- A crate near the ride track is labeled “M. Davis & Co., Est. ’79” as not only a reference to Disney Legend Marc Davis, but also 1979, the year Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opened at Disneyland.
- The ride track is almost one mile in length.
- Much of the architectural detailing of Grizzly Gulch was inspired by Columbia, CA, one of the best-preserved towns in the “Mother Lode” area of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Shanghai Disney Resort
And last but certainly not least — Shanghai Disney? If you are heading to the theme parks soon, be sure to check out the rollercoasters and thrill rides there, including Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the popular attraction, TRON Lightcycle Power Run.
Shanghai Disneyland: TRON Lightcycle Power Run
Date opened: June 16, 2016
- TRON Lightcycle Power Run is one of the fastest roller coasters at any Disney park.
- Guests ride atop individual, two-wheeled Lightcycles for a unique roller coaster experience.
- The cable and wiring for this attraction could circle the city of Shanghai 37 times.
Have you ridden any of these rollercoasters? Which one if your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.