“Star Wars” Boba Fett movie canceled

in Disney, Entertainment, Movies, Movies & TV, Star Wars, Theater

boba fett

According to Deadline, Lucasfilm has confirmed that the “Star Wars” Boba Fett movie has been canceled and for the time being, the blockbuster film company will be setting its sights on the upcoming streaming series “The Mandalorian.”

Late last week, Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm, told Erick Weber, a journalist for Critics Choice Association, at a Black Panther Awards reception that the Boba Fett movie would no longer be moving forward with production. According to Weber, during their conversation, Kennedy had also told the journalist that TV was going to be the top priority for the film company in the near future.

Deadline has also reported that the Director for the now canceled film, James Mangold, has officially been released from the project. Mangold will now be focusing on “Ford v. Ferrari,” an upcoming film by 20th Century Fox starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon, which is currently in post-production.

boba fett

Reports of the possibility of the Boba Fett “Star Wars” spin-off film first came back in May of this year. However, the film was canceled due to the poor financial return Lucasfilm saw on “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” The film reportedly cost the film studio $300 million to create, but only saw a return of $392 million worldwide. To compare it to last year’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” this film cost Lucasfilm $317 million to produce, but it saw a massive return of $1.3 billion worldwide.

Lucasfilm’s upcoming live-action series, “The Mandalorian” is currently still in the production stage with only few details revealed about its plot and timeline, some of which were released earlier this month on Jon Favreau’s (the show’s creator) personal Instagram account.

For a more in-depth look at some of Favreau’s other Instagram posts about the coming series, be sure to see our previous coverage of “The Mandalorian.”

According to Entertainment Weekly, production on “The Mandalorian” began at the beginning of October. An official release date for the show is still not known. Disney’s streaming service, which will air “The Mandalorian,” is set to launch in late 2019.

Source: Deadline

3 Comments

  1. Cian

    This was the one everyone was looking forward to, hope time will change their minds.

  2. Tom

    I really don’t understand their logic here… The Last Jedi was a financial success, sure. People paid to see it, some were disappointed, and wanted Lucasfilm to know it by boycotting the next movie. The financial failure that was Solo was all because of The Last Jedi.
    The problem is not the quantity of Star Wars movies/series, it’s their quality.
    If Lucasfilm was doing good quality content, people will gladly watch it, especially if it’s something that people are asking for, just like this Boba Fett movie (just to remind you, noone asked for a Solo movie).

    I really don’t think that cancelling a movie that people were waiting for because of the failure of a movie nobody asked for is a good idea…

Trackbacks

  1. In Case You Missed It: News and Rumors - Week of November 9, 2018

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.