Kristen Bell, best known in the Disney community as the voice of Anna from the hit animated films, Frozen and Frozen 2, shared this family pickle soup recipe with Good Morning America, saying “First of all, just resist judging it. It sounded gross the first time my mom made it for me. I was like, ‘you cannot be serious that you just poured that pickle juice into the soup, that’s gnarly.’ And I’m a big fan of pickles.”
“It is one of the weirdest recipes I have ever come across and it was from my grandmother and my mom used to make it. I don’t know if it’s Polish, most of the recipes in our family cookbook are, it is so delicious,” the Frozen actress continued.
The soup has a base of onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes, which isn’t too unusual and follows a typical soup base. However, things get a bit weird when the recipe calls for jarred pickle juice and chopped up pickles.
At first, you may think this sounds odd, but Bell says “It’s a little bit creamy and tangy from sour cream and it’s just heavenly”.
Bell told Good Morning America that even her children, who are very picky eaters, love this soup! “Everybody thinks it’s going to be gross, but everyone loves it — it’s the hit of the evening.”
If you want to give this soup a try, follow Kristen Bell’s recipe below.
Kristen Bell’s Pickle Soup Recipe
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- Shredded or chopped carrots, coarsely grated
- Cubed frozen potatoes (“I like the square hash browns or Southern style,” Bell says)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 5 polish dill pickles, chopped fine
- 1/3-1/2 cup dill pickle juice (depending on your taste)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Mixed vegetables : corn, peas, carrots “avoid green beans”)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)
- In a pan, sauté onion, celery and carrots.
- In a Crock-Pot or slow cooker, add chicken or vegetable broth, dill pickle juice, chopped dill pickles, cubed potatoes, onions, celery and carrots. Add salt and pepper as well as sugar to taste.
- Cook in Crock-Pot approximately 4 hours until all vegetables are soft.
- In a small bowl, beat milk, sour cream and flour until smooth. Stir in a small amount of the hot soup (to temper). Add remaining slowly into the soup and stir until smooth.
- Keep soup warm but DO NOT BOIL (the soup will curdle).
- Garnish with parsley and dill (optional).
What do you think of the idea of pickle soup? Will you be giving Kristen Bell’s recipe a try? Let us know in the comments below.