We’re just as excited for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to open as the rest of the “Star Wars” and Disney Parks enthusiasts out there. But some of the things we can’t wait to get our hands on is the epic new merchandise coming to the immersive “Star Wars”-themed lands at Disneyland and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Of course, with the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge comes an all-new build-your-own lightsaber experience that we’re itching to try.
We shared before that guests on Batuu will be able to build their own lightsabers in an experience like never before, but Disney just released how much the experience will cost: $199 plus tax. We know what you may be thinking: a $200 lightsaber better be the best “Star Wars” product you’ll ever get your hands on, especially since the Disney Parks previously offered build-your-own lightsabers at a fraction of the cost. But trust us, these lightsabers are unlike anything you’ve ever purchased before.
For around $200, guests will get to build their own lightsabers in an interactive, immersive experience that sounds pretty much straight out of the “Star Wars” universe. Disney is known for crafting state-of-the-art, unique experiences for theme park guests, so we aren’t surprised by the theming that goes into purchasing this merchandise from Savi’s Workshop in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. It’s been reported that the lightsabers will have light-up plastic blades and metal hilts, and the lightsabers will make contact sounds as well as noises when they power up and power down, just like they do in the “Star Wars” films. Disney hasn’t published any information on the material of the lightsabers, however, so we’ll have to report back when we can experience building our own lightsaber in the theme parks soon.
According to the official website, here’s what you can expect from the lightsaber experience:
Meet one of Savi’s Gatherers outside his workshop, where you’ll choose one of 4 available hilt themes and receive a cloisonné pin to identify your selection. Themes include:
- Peace and Justice: Salvaged scraps from fallen Jedi temples and crashed starships in these Republic-era designs honor the galaxy’s former guardians.
- Power and Control: Originally forged by dark side warriors, this style features rumored remnants from the Sith homeworld and abandoned temples.
- Elemental Nature: This theme embodies the Force—an energy created by all living things, like Brylark trees, Cartusion whale bones and Rancor teeth.
- Protection and Defense: Hilt materials bear mysterious motifs and inscriptions that reconnect users with the ancient wellspring of the Force.
The Gatherers will now help you select the heart of your lightsaber—the kyber crystal, which is available in red, blue, green or violet.
Next, begin assembling your hilt—parts will be provided based on your theme and cloisonné pin. Each box of parts includes:
- 1 hilt
- 4 sleeves (pick 2)
- 2 emitters (pick 1)
- 2 pommel caps (pick 1)
- 2 sets of activation plates and switches (pick 1 set)
Upon hilt completion, the unused parts will be collected by the Gatherers and returned to Savi’s inventory. These are not included with your lightsaber package.
Finally, the Gatherers will masterfully connect your hilt to a 36” lightsaber blade so you’re ready for anything the galaxy puts in your path!
- $199.99 per lightsaber, plus tax
- Carry case included
- Additional customization items can be purchased at Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities
- Age Recommendation: 5+
- The experience area is limited to the builder and one Guest—at least one person in the party must be age 14 or older
- Custom lightsabers are nonrefundable and are not eligible for Annual Passholder or other discounts
- The Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers experience is subject to availability and reservations may be required
- If reservations are required, late arrivals may not be accommodated
Pricey experiences like this are nothing new to the Disney Parks. Guests can experience princess and pirate makeovers (complete with full costumes) at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique“>Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique and Pirate League, and you can purchase a banshee in Pandora, all of which cost more than the average souvenir. So we’re not surprised that this new build-your-own lightsaber experience comes at a $200 price point, especially given everything included in the entire experience. For the ultimate “Star Wars” fan, this definitely sounds worth the price.
Will you be purchasing a build-your-own lightsaber experience at Disneyland or Disney’s Hollywood Studios for $200? Let us know in the comments!