Working at Disney World and making magic for Guests is a goal that many strive to achieve, and although the Walt Disney Company just underwent a massive layoff, they have slowly begun calling back some Cast Members, as well as hiring new ones.
Now, all of those who have a delectable sweet tooth have the chance to show off their skills.
Space 220 is the newest restaurant that is headed to EPCOT. Although its opening date has been pushed back over a year now, it seems that the restaurant is progressing towards an opening date because they are now looking for an Executive Pastry Chef.
Space 220 is run by Patina Group, which also runs delicious Disney World restaurants like the highly popular Via Napoli in the Italian pavilion of EPCOT, Morimoto Asia and The Edison in Disney Springs, and many more.
According to the Patina Group website, the soon-to-be Space 220 restaurant is looking to fill an Executive Pastry Chef position, which entails:
Delaware North’s Patina Restaurant Group is searching for an experienced and talented Executive Pastry Chef to join our team at Space 220 in Orlando, Florida. In this role, you will contribute to the launch and continued success of Space 220 Restaurant. Our ideal Executive Pastry Chef has an exceptional knowledge of food and is dedicated to creating extraordinary dining experiences for guests.
- Oversee the daily production of the pastry and dessert program.
- Maintain the pastry and dessert menu, utilizing all products and food ingredients with a sense of artistic talent.
- Assist in recipe development, portion specifications, and establish standard preparation procedures for all assigned dishes.
- Hire, train, and monitor the pastry team; continuously motivate and support employees; conduct performance reviews; reward and discipline individuals as necessary.
- Lead, cook, bake, and create by example while working cohesively as a part of a team with minimal supervision to complete all necessary kitchen and administrative tasks.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and participate in the correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended and ensure associates follow suit.
- Regularly inspect units to observe quality of food preparation and service, food appearance, cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment, and employee appearance. Ensure that all protocols are in line with health department standards.
- Be willing to gain knowledge of and maintain company invoice tracking, labor tracking, schedule preparation, food cost management, labor cost management, inventory control, and hiring, counseling, termination policies.
- Acknowledge and comply with all company policies, service procedures, and standards.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a Pastry Chef with supervisory responsibilities in a restaurant, hotel, or catering company with a similar style of dining, capacity, and volume.
- Has passion for pastry and culinary excellence and is eager to improve their skills and share their craft with team and guests.
- Knowledgable of best practices for monitoring of food and labor cost, menu development, costing, ordering, and inventory procedures.
- Ability to multitask and remain in control in a high volume, fast-paced, demanding environment, while maintaining your sense of humor.
- Ability to think quickly on your feet, taking things in stride and executing with poise.
- Professional, polished appearance with the ability to interact with all types of team members.
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
- Ability to lead, coach, develop, and train others.
- Ability to follow and write bulk recipes for production and service.
- Certificate or degree in Culinary Arts preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge including Word and Excel.
Space 220 is located next to Mission: SPACE and will allow Guests to dine in an outer space environment. Guests will be able to transport themselves from EPCOT to space instantly, with a unique dining experience like no other.
While we do not yet have many details about the full Space 220 experience as the opening date has been pushed back indefinitely, the official Walt Disney World Resort webpage for the restaurant reads:
Embark on the ultimate culinary exploration from this new expansion of the Mission: SPACE pavilion.
Step inside Space 220—a celestial panorama of a space station—for a delicious meal! As you dine, peer out and enjoy amazing daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up.
To begin your journey, board a special space elevator that will ascend to the stars! Along the way, viewports will give you an aerial view of Epcot as you travel high above the planet.
Upon your arrival, you will dine from a menu featuring modern American cuisine, more than 1,000 bottles of the world’s finest wines and a wide selection of craft beer.
All of that being said, the search for an Executive Pastry Chef is a step in the right direction when it comes to hopefully receiving an opening date for the restaurant soon. Plus, with the 50th anniversary celebration coming to the Walt Disney World Resort in a few months, having a new restaurant offering would only add to the excitement.
Would you want to be a pastry chef at Disney? Are you excited for Space 220 to open?