A man has been arrested for breaking into a Disney park even amid the temporary closure. Here’s what we know so far.
- ABC 7 reports that a man has been arrested for breaking into Disney California Adventure park at Disneyland Resort even though all Disney Parks in the U.S. are currently temporarily closed.
- The man — an 18-year-old named Jeremiah Smith — is a transient resident of Anaheim, California, who police saw jumping over a gate in the backlot of Disney California Adventure.
- Smith was arrested on Sunday after he was found around 11 p.m. near a construction site by Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission BREAKOUT!. It is assumed that he was lurking at the location of Avengers Campus, the Marvel-themed land that was under construction before the parks closed.
- The Anaheim Police Department believes that the suspect may have been attempting to steal items of equipment from the construction site at the theme park. He was arrested, cited for trespassing, and released.
- Currently, Disneyland park, California Adventure, Downtown Disney, and all three Disneyland Resort hotels are temporarily closed until further notice.
Avengers Campus Construction
Given where the man was found trespassing, it is assumed that he was seen at the Avengers Campus construction site in Disney California Adventure. This area — located where a bug’s land used to be — will soon be home to our favorite Marvel heroes and is located adjacent to the Guardians of the Galaxy ride.
The Disney Parks have been closed for over a month now, and it has been several weeks since Disney announced that construction at the Disneyland Resort — including the construction of the all-new Avengers land — would be halted while the theme parks are closed. This later led to Disney’s confirmation that the opening of Avengers Campus would be delayed. The land was announced to be opening on July 18, 2020, but within the past couple of weeks, Disneyland Resort has changed the website to say “Avengers Campus — Coming Soon” instead.
We don’t yet know when Avengers Campus will open, especially given the fact that construction isn’t taking place right now, but we will update when we know more information.