When it comes to the holidays, you can never have too many sweets on hand. As we draw closer to the season of cozy Christmas lights and warm holiday desserts, Disney prepares to welcome guests for their holiday celebrations. If you will not be traveling this holiday season, Disney still wants to bring some holiday magic to your home.
Along with some ugly Christmas sweaters and The Disney Holiday Singalong special, Disney just offered the recipe for a tasty treat you can bake at home. Disney Parks Blog shared a recipe for Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Gingerbread-Cream Cheese Muffins. These delectable muffins can be found in the theme park at the Isle of Java and Harambe Fruit Market – and now at your kitchen table!
Disney Parks Blogs described the lovely and intoxicating goodness of these muffins, saying:
Let’s face it, the scent and taste of freshly baked gingerbread screams HOLIDAY and this spiced gingerbread muffin with cream cheese filling is the perfect bundle of holiday goodness! Want to enjoy this gingerbread treat in our parks? Head on over to Isle of Java and Harambe Fruit Market at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park starting Dec. 1 through Jan. 2.
This recipe from Disney Parks Blog is meant for 12 servings. Are you ready to whip up a dozen of these Gingerbread-Cream Cheese muffins? Let’s get started!
Gingerbread-Cream Cheese Muffins
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil (1/4 cup butter, softened, may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Reserved cream cheese filling
For Cream Cheese Filling:
- Combine sugar and butter in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat on low speed until there are no lumps. Add cream cheese and mix on medium speed for 3 minutes, until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low. Add egg and lemon juice and mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours, up to 3 days, until ready to use.
For Gingerbread-Cream Cheese Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare a muffin pan with 12 liners and set aside.
- Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine oil or butter, brown sugar, molasses, honey, and egg in bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low and add buttermilk until incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Scrape sides of mixer and mix an additional 30 seconds. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Place reserved cream cheese filling in piping bag fitted with large round tip. Insert piping tip into the center of each muffin, piping about 1 tablespoon into the center, then pipe a swirl around the top of the muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top of muffin is firm when touched.
- Cool before serving.
Holiday Recipe Ideas
If you love the idea of creating some Disney holiday treats, try out these holiday Mickey cookies. Also, if these muffins do not satisfy your gingerbread craving, try these Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa gingerbread cookies and this gingerbread bundt cake.
Will you be cooking up a batch of these gingerbread muffins? Let us know in the comments!