It doesn’t much sunnier than Winnie the Pooh. The unwaveringly positive stuffed bear is constantly bringing happiness to his friends (yes, even Eeyore) in the Hundred Acre Wood.
Celebrate bright summer days and Pooh’s sunny outlook with this Disney lemon bar recipe!
Winnie the Pooh Lemon Bars (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp meringue powder
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c warm water
- Yellow and black gel food coloring
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 c flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Yellow gel food coloring
- Yellow candy melts (for Pooh Bear’s ears)
- Dark chocolate, melted (for Pooh Bear’s facial features)
- Piping bag and tip (#1)
- Parchment paper
What You Do:
1. For the bumble bee decoration, start by creating royal icing. Add powdered sugar, meringue powder, vanilla extract, and water into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Start mixing on low until incorporated and then beat on medium-high until stiff peaks form (around 5 minutes).
2. Divide the icing into separate bowls to mix the icing colors (yellow, black, and white). Then set up a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Using a piping bag with piping tip (#1), pipe the shape of a bee in yellow on parchment paper. Pipe on its wings with white, and stripes, eyes and antennae with black icing. Set aside to dry (about 1 hour).
3. Create Pooh’s ears with melted yellow candy melts. Using toothpicks, draw small circles on parchment paper. Set aside to dry.
4. Next, prepare the crust. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Cream the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy—in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt into the butter mixture until it’s just combined.
5. Place the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press flat into a 9” x 9” baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Let it cool on a wire rack.
6. For the filling, beat eggs together then set aside. Next beat the lemon zest, cornstarch, and lemon juice until combined. Sift in sugar and baking powder, then add it to the egg mixture. Finally, pour the whole mix over the cooled crust.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Let the lemon bars cool, then cut into 9 equal squares. Draw on Pooh’s face with melted dark chocolate. Add the ears and the royal icing bees with a little melted chocolate. Enjoy!
We can’t wait to make these cute Winnie the Pooh treats for all of our summer get togethers!
More Disney Dessert Recipes
If you’re in the mood to do more Disney inspired baking, try this Strawberry Shortcake recipe straight from EPCOT!
Are you to bake a batch of Winnie the Pooh lemon bars this weekend? Tell us in the comments!