May is Asian American Heritage Month, so making this Mulan-inspired milkshake recipe is a great way to celebrate Asian-Pacific cultures in the United States.
This delicious Mulan milkshake recipe is inspired by the outfit the Chinese warrior Princess wears when she visits the Matchmaker at the beginning of the animated Mulan movie.
Our favorite feature is the addition of tiny magnolia blossom cookies as a drink garnish!
Mulan Milkshake (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
Magnolia Blossom Cookies:
- 1/4 c pink candy melts
- 6 mini chocolate sandwich cookie
- 1 c French vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 c milk (dairy or non-dairy, like almond milk)
- 1 c pistachio ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate cookie crumbs
- Green sprinkles
- Maraschino cherries
- Plastic spoons
- Nonstick spray or oil
- Piping bag
- Thick blue ribbon
- Thin red ribbon
- Green straws (preferably shaped like bamboo stalks)
What You Do:
1. To make the petals for the magnolia blossom cookies, lightly grease some plastic spoons. Melt pink candy melts in a small bowl in the microwave at 15-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until fully melted.
2. Place the melted candy into a piping bag, make a small snip at the tip, then pipe teardrop-shaped dollops onto the center of the greased spoons. Place in freezer to completely harden.
3. Slide the pink “petals” off of the spoons and set aside. If the petal edges are jagged, smooth them over with the tip of your finger.
4. To make the cookies, place a small dollop of melted candy into the center of a mini chocolate cookie. Attach 5-6 petals, with their shiny sides facing out, until you get a finished flower cookie.
5. Prep the milkshake’s decor by wrapping a thick piece of blue ribbon around the middle of a glass, then use tape to secure. Place a thinner piece of red ribbon atop the blue ribbon, and again secure with tape.
6. In a blender, blend the French vanilla ice cream with 2 tablespoons of milk. Pour into the glasses until each is half full. Place in the freezer.
7. In the same blender, blend together the pistachio ice cream and 2 additional tablespoons of milk. Remove the glasses from the freezer, then pour the green shake atop the bottom yellow layer.
8. Top each shake with whipped cream, chocolate cookie crumbs, green sprinkles, and a Maraschino cherry. Insert a straw into each shake and magnolia blossom cookies atop or on the side.
Tell us if you’re going to try your hand at this Mulan milkshake recipe soon!