If you’ve been missing the food and drink at EPCOT’s World Showcase as much as we have, some at-home Disney cooking just might be the cure!
Today, we’re bringing you the recipe for the delicious cheddar cheese soup from Le Cellier in the Canada pavilion. This is a favorite menu item for many Walt Disney World visitors, so being able to cook-up a batch in your own kitchen is sure to be a special treat even after your next trip to EPCOT.
Le Cellier Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
-1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
-1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
-3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
-4 tablespoons butter
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-3 cups chicken stock
-4 cups milk
-1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
-1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
-1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
-Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
-1/2 cup warm Canadian golden lager or any pale lager-style beer
-Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
What You Do:
- In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon, stirring, over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add red onion, celery, and butter and sauté until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after milk is added.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend with immersion blender until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.
Using this exact cheese soup recipe, your Canadian Cheddar Soup should feed 10. This has been converted from a larger recipe used by the Disney Parks culinary team, so it’s easy to double or triple if you need to feed a crowd! Pair it with pretzel bread for a truly delicious meal.
Will you be making Le Cellier Canadian Cheddar Soup soon? Tell us your favorite EPCOT World Showcase food in the comments!
What’s happening at EPCOT?
Disney World’s EPCOT theme park is currently undergoing a variety of major changes. Recently, the Disney Parks team in Florida filed permits for the new Play! Pavilion that will be part of the new World Discovery area. WDW park goers can expect to see major changes at the EPCOT entrance as soon as they return to the Most Magical Place on Earth.
Before Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary celebration next year, EPCOT’s France pavilion is also expected to undergo some alterations, including the addition of the much-anticipated Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, inspired by the Disneyland Paris ride.