Calling all Disney fans, Annual Passholders, and upcoming Park Guests! Disney Genie officially launches tomorrow, October 19, at Walt Disney World Resort, the premier Disney Park destination in Florida. Here’s what you need to know if you are planning to visit.
When Walt Disney World officially reopened its theme parks in July 2020 after a four-month closure amid the pandemic, several Guest amenities and services were suspended, including the FastPass system. For well over a year, Guests have been visiting Walt Disney World without the use of FastPass, the complimentary system that allowed for less time spend waiting in a physical standby queue for an attraction.
Recently, Disney announced that the FastPass/FastPass+ system at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and the FASTPASS/MaxPass system at Disneyland Resort in California would be retiring. In their place, a new Disney Park offering called Disney Genie+ would debut.
Disney Genie+ — like Disney Genie — launches tomorrow at Disney World (and at a later, yet-to-be-announced date at Disneyland). So, what should you expect? Here’s your quick need-to-know guide specifically for Disney Genie at Walt Disney World.
Disney Genie is the all-new complimentary service that can be accessed within the My Disney Experience app, the official app of Walt Disney World Resort. Disney Genie will help you plan your entire day at Disney World. Per the official website, the following features are launching with the service:
- Tailored Recommendations – You’ll receive attraction and dining recommendations inspired in part by what you told Disney Genie service you’re most interested in doing. It even displays a good time to go to an experience and an idea of the forecasted wait. Need to swap a recommendation out? No problem. Like many popular navigation apps, Disney Genie will continue to offer new suggestions throughout the day, so you can make the most of your time during your visit.
- A Personalized Daily Itinerary – Your “My Day” tab is where you’ll find Disney Genie recommendations and any plans you’ve made, including dining reservations, Disney Resort hotel reservations and activity bookings. You’ll also be able to virtually chat with a Cast Member who can help answer any questions that arise.
- A Custom Tip Board – This new feature will let you see estimated wait times for your top attractions, entertainment and dining. You’ll also be able to order food, make dining reservations, check into a restaurant, request to join an available virtual queue (currently at Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure), and even book arrival times for our new Lightning Lane entrance at select experiences if you’ve purchased Disney Genie+ service.
Disney Genie+ (what many Guests are referring to as the new paid FastPass system) also debuts tomorrow, October 19. Guests can pay $15 per person, per day to use Disney Genie+ to access the Lightning Lane (AKA the former FastPass queue) for a variety of attractions.
For more information on Lightning Lane, click here to read this article, which outlines all of the attractions that offer a Lightning Lane (AKA a FastPass queue).
How to Purchase Disney Genie+
There are a couple of ways to purchase Disney Genie+.
- If you want to add it to your Walt Disney World Resort vacation, you can purchase Disney Genie+ as a vacation package add-on while you are booking.
- If you want to purchase Disney Genie+ the day of your visit, you can do so within the My Disney Experience app at any time.
- If you have an existing ticket, you will be able to modify it to include Disney Genie+ service within the app. If you have an existing package, please call the travel provider who originally arranged your booking (like your Authorized Disney Vacation Planner) or call Disney directly at the Disney Reservation Center at (407) 939-5277.
Individual Attraction Selections
There are a few attractions with Lightning Lanes that are not included in the price of Disney Genie+. If you want to access the Lightning Lane for these attractions, you will need to pay an additional fee per Guest, per attraction.
You can purchase Lightning Lane access directly within the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit to the theme parks.
Remember: You Don’t HAVE to Purchase Anything Extra!
Keep in mind that even though Disney Genie+ launches tomorrow and is an extra cost, you do not have to purchase anything extra in order to have an amazing time. In fact, you can still utilize most of the features of the Disney Genie platform within the My Disney Experience app without purchasing Disney Genie+.
In order to access the Disney Genie service, all you have to do is download the My Disney Experience app and log in using your Disney account. Starting October 19, you will be able to access all of the features that Disney Genie has to offer. If you already have the My Disney Experience app on your mobile device, just make sure you have updated to the latest version of the app.
Are you planning to test out Disney Genie and Disney Genie+ on your next Disney World visit? Let us know in the comments!