Odds of Tropical Storm Hitting Florida This Week Have Now Increased

in Universal Orlando, Walt Disney World

tropical storm model (left) magic kingdom flooding (right)

Left Image Credit: The National Hurricane Center / Right Image Credit: Cassie C.

This morning, we reported that the National Hurricane Center is currently watching out for a system forecast to pass over Florida this week, which could become the next tropical storm of the season. Now, those odds are increasing as the storm moves closer to the United States.

tropical storm
Credit: The National Hurricane Center

Related: How a Hurricane or Tropical Storm May Impact Your Disney Trip

As of 8 a.m. on September 7, the National Hurricane Center said the trough has a 10% chance of becoming the next tropical depression by Thursday, and a 30% chance by Sunday. Now, as of 2 p.m. on September 7, the trough has a 30% chance of becoming the next tropical depression by Thursday, and a 40% chance of doing so by Sunday.

If a tropical storm does develop, it will take on the name Mindy and will be the 13th storm of the season.

magic kingdom
Credit: Disney

According to Orlando Sentinel, “the system is expected to be met with resistance from ‘unfavorable’ upper-level winds keeping the system from developing properly”.

Florida recently dealt with Tropical Storm Fred and Hurricane Elsa earlier this season — neither of which did major damage to the Orlando theme park area.

carrousel with cinderella castle
Credit: Disney

Inside the Magic will continue to follow the storm’s path and keep you updated as we get information. Again, if you are planning a trip to Walt Disney World or any other Orlando theme park in the near future, make sure to keep an eye on the latest models and plan accordingly.

We do want to note that both Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando are highly equipped to deal with tropical storms and hurricanes, and Guests will be safe staying on an on-property Resort if Tropical Storm Mindy does form and hit the area.

Related: More Hurricanes Predicted to Hit Disney World and Universal This Year

magic kingdom flooded rain
Credit: Cassie C.

Are you traveling to Florida this week? Do you have plans to visit Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando? Let us know in the comments below.

Be the first to comment!