It’s the Christmas season at the Disney Parks, and what does everyone want? A Gingerbread Mickey!
There’s nothing better than to have a holiday celebration that included Mickey Gingerbread decorating especially if you can’t get to a Disney Park to grab yourself a Gingerbread Mickey or any other holiday treats. These Gingerbread Mickeys have become so popular that there’s even themed merchandise for it!
Gingerbread Mickey Recipe
This recipe straight from the kitchen of Shanghai Disneyland will bring that fresh baked gingery, molasses cookie smell into your kitchen and really fill up your home this holiday season!
Recipe Source: Disney Parks Blog
MAKES 24 COOKIES
Ingredients for Gingerbread Cookie
- 1 1/4 cups gingerbread cookie mix
- 1 1/2 cups rye flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground anise seed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
Ingredients for Royal Icing
- 1/4 cup pasteurized liquid egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Gel food coloring, in desired colors
Directions for Gingerbread Cookies
- Sift gingerbread cookie mix, rye flour, bread flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and anise seed into large bowl. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add honey, 1 egg, water, and milk and mix on medium speed until smooth. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat on low speed until mixed. Dough will still be slightly sticky.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Roll cookie dough into 1/8-inch (3-4 millimeter) thick rectangle and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, roll dough, and cut into gingerbread men shapes using 3 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Place on prepared baking sheets. (If you don’t have a Mickey Gingerbread cookie cutter, you can simply match together a gingerbread man and Mickey shape head together to cut your gingerbread dough.)
- Beat remaining egg in small bowl and brush egg on gingerbread. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack before decorating.
Directions for Royal Icing
- Whisk liquid egg whites in large bowl until frothy. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Place in smaller bowls and tint with desired colors.
- Transfer to each piping bag fitted with desired tips and decorate gingerbread Mickeys.
Cook’s Notes: If you want to add a delicious layer of chocolate (like Ghirardelli) to your gingerbread cookies, melt 1 pound chocolate candy melts, in desired color, in microwave according to package directions. Dip cooled cookies in chocolate and rest on wire rack for 15 minutes, until chocolate is set. Decorate cookies with royal icing.
Yum! Will you be trying this recipe straight from Shanghai Disneyland this holiday season?
More Holiday Recipes
- Holiday Mickey Cookies
- Disney Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- Disney Gingerbread Cream Cheese Muffins
- Disneyland Paris Minnie Yule Log
- Mickey Hot Cocoa