During Lucasfilm’s portion of The Walt Disney Company’s 2020 Investor Day event, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy shared details about a number of upcoming Disney+ Star Wars series, including the animated The Bad Batch show, which was originally announced in July.
The original announcement on StarWars.com featured these details about Lucasfilm’s next foray into animation:
The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.
“Giving new and existing fans the final chapter of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been our honor at Disney+, and we are overjoyed by the global response to this landmark series,” said Agnes Chu, senior vice president, Content, Disney+. “While The Clone Wars may have come to its conclusion, our partnership with the groundbreaking storytellers and artists at Lucasfilm Animation is only beginning. We are thrilled to bring Dave Filoni’s vision to life through the next adventures of the Bad Batch.”
Now, an exciting The Bad Batch casting announcement has been confirmed by the Star Wars team. Ming-Na Wen — who has played Fennec Shand in both seasons of The Mandalorian and voiced Mulan in the 1998 Walt Disney Animation Studios film — will be reprising her role as Shand in The Bad Batch!
She’ll even be reprising the role of the elite assassin in the upcoming animated series Star Wars: The Bad Batch, which follows a special team of clone troopers at the dawn of the Galactic Empire.
“Do you know how long I’ve had to keep silent about Fennec coming back?” she asks with a joyful laugh. “This is the first time I’ve been able to talk about it!” After the sizzle reel for the upcoming Star Wars animation project was revealed last week, Wen still had to stay mum for a few more days, Filoni told her. Her response? “Dave, if you wanted to keep it a secret you shouldn’t have put me in the trailer!” she laughs. “Everybody is saying they just want the confirmation. So, yes, it is Fennec! It’s a younger Fennec and she is voiced by me and I’m thrilled and beyond happy that Dave wanted to create more of a backstory for her.”
The official sizzler for Star Wars: The Bad Batch can be viewed below.
— Star Wars (@starwars) December 10, 2020
We are certainly looking forward to seeing what The Bad Batch has in store for the Star Wars fan base next year!
Are you excited to discover more about mercenary and sharpshooter Fennec Shand’s origin story before she meets Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal), Grogu, and Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison)?