As the Emmy wins are being released we have been waiting to see what Disney+’s hit Star Wars spin off show was going to nab. With 15 Emmy nods to the series, The Mandalorian was seemingly destined to win an Emmy. And although the awards are just beginning, the show has taken on it’s first win!
@Disneyplus just tweeted:
Congratulations to #TheMandalorian creative team on their Emmy® win for Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour). #Emmys2020
— Disney+ (@disneyplus) September 17, 2020
If you have seen the show, you know the production design of Chapter 1: The Mandalorian is superb and this award is well deserved.
The Mandalorian won against:
- Will & Grace
- What We Do In The Shadows
- Space Force
What other Emmys is The Manalorian up for?
The Disney+ series The Mandalorian earned 15 Emmy nominations.
- Outstanding drama series
- Outstanding visual effects
- Outstanding production design for a narrative program (half-hour) – WINNER
- Outstanding cinematography for a single-camera series (half-hour)
- Outstanding fantasy/sci-fi costumes; three separate nominations for outstanding single-camera picture editing for a drama series
- Outstanding prosthetic makeup for a series, limited series, movie or special
- Outstanding sound editing for a comedy or drama series (half-hour) and animation
- Outstanding sound mixing for a comedy or drama series (half-hour) and animation
- Outstanding music composition for a series (original dramatic score)
- Outstanding stunt coordination for a drama series, limited series or movie.
- Outstanding character voiceover performance for Taika Waititi as IG-11
- Outstanding guest actor in a drama series for Giancarlo Esposito as Moff Gideon.
How are the Emmy’s working this year?
So although The Mandalorian won it’s first Emmy this evening, there are still many more Emmy ceramonies to go in this 2020 awards season. The Emmy dates are as follows:
Monday, Sept. 14: Reality & Non-Fiction
Tuesday, Sept. 15: Variety
Wednesday, Sept. 16: Scripted Night One
Thursday, Sept. 17: Scripted Night Two
Saturday, Sept: 19: An eclectic mix of awards across all genres
The 72nd Primetime Emmy Awards air on Sunday, Sept. 20 on ABC.
The awards for The Mandalorian will take place over all of the above states nights, with heavy hitters such as Outstanding Drama Series being awarded this Sunday evening. Many may not know, but this is a huge deal for the Star Wars franchise. No live-action film or show has taken home an Emmy for 35 years, making The Mandalorian the first in a very long time. Plus, every episode except for episode 5 (‘The Gunslinger’) received a nomination in some way – only reinstating the quality that Disney brought to this show. With so many Star Wars series on their way to Disney+ such as the ‘Obi-Wan’ series, a big win could pave the way for their future success.
Season 2 of The Mandalorian will be dropping October 30th on Disney+, and as a brand new viewer to the franchise — I cannot wait to see where the series takes us!
We will be paying attention to see what other Emmy wins The Mandalorian and Disney takes home!