In a press conference this afternoon, California Governor Gavin Newsom stated that a reopening announcement for Disneyland Resort and other theme parks is on its way “very very shortly.”
Although the Governor has previously stated that he and Walt Disney Company officials are “actively working” toward a new reopening date – the theme park’s original July 17 reopening was delayed due to the pandemic – this is the first notable indication of progress from the Governor’s office recently.
Twitter is abuzz with details from the press conference, with @ScottGustin sharing this post:
Gov. Newsom talking about reopening theme parks:
“We will be making announcements soon as it relates to theme parks,” Newsom said.
He said he is not ready to make the presentation today, but is “actively working” to present that plan “soon." pic.twitter.com/1m1LsuEpFS
— Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) September 16, 2020
Gov. Newsom talking about reopening theme parks: “We will be making announcements soon as it relates to theme parks,” Newsom said. He said he is not ready to make the presentation today, but is “actively working” to present that plan “soon.”
FOX LA host Elex Michaelson also shared a social media post about Governor Newsom’s latest Disneyland announcement.
Says negotiations are underway and suggests news on that front could come in the next few days.
— Elex Michaelson (@Elex_Michaelson) September 16, 2020
.@CAgovernor @GavinNewsom says he will be making announcements “soon” in regards to re-opening theme parks like @Disneyland. Says negotiations are underway and suggests news on that front could come in the next few days.
Note, however, that we do not know for sure when news from Newsom and Disneyland Resort could come next.
Over the past couple of weeks, reopening preparations have appeared to be well underway at Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure. Furthermore, the Downtown Disney District was recently cleared to begin allowing limited indoor dining as part of Governor Newsom’s new tiered reopening plan for the State of California.
A stream of the California Governor’s press conference can be seen on the Office of the Governor’s official Twitter account:
— Office of the Governor of California (@CAgovernor) September 16, 2020
Currently, Disneyland features the following notice on its official website:
- The Downtown Disney District has begun a phased reopening.
- The Hotels of the Disneyland Resort remain closed and will reopen at a later date.
- Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park remain closed and will reopen at a later date, pending state and local government approvals.
- Upon reopening, certain parks, hotels, restaurants, attractions, experiences and other offerings will be modified or unavailable, will have limited capacity and will be subject to limited availability or even closure, and park admission and offerings are not guaranteed. View important details.
- An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. View important details.
What do you think about the latest Governor Newsom Disneyland reopening news? Do you believe a theme park reopening announcement is imminent?