Happy International Dog Day! Whether you have a real-life canine best friend or you prefer your dogs animated (like Mickey’s pal, Pluto!), today is the day to celebrate all of the pups you love.
This DIY Disney dog treats recipe will allow you to throw your pet the perfect Dog Day party at home. No dog will able to resist the peanut butter, banana, bacon flavor!
Peanut Butter, Banana, Bacon Dog Biscuits (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup mashed, ripe banana
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup ground peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped, crispy bacon
What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Mix together mashed banana, peanut butter, and honey until smooth.
- Add in flour, wheat germ, and oatmeal. Mixture will become very dry.
- Add water as mixture is combining to help incorporate all ingredients.
- Add peanuts and bacon, making sure they are evenly distributed.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4”.
- Cut out with your favorite cookie cutter. The size of your dog may help determine the size of the cookie cutter that you use.
- Any leftover dough scraps can be re-formed into a ball and rolled out until there are no more scraps remaining.
- Place biscuits on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 20–25 minutes.
This recipe was developed by Disney Chef Heather Wall, Pastry Sous Chef of Disney’s Port Orleans Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort. Wall left the following Chef’s Notes on the dog treat recipe:
1. If you would like a crunchier dog biscuit roll the dough out to 1/8”. The baking time will be reduced to 10-20 minutes.
2. If you use a large cookie cutter the baking time will be increased to 25 – 35 minutes.
3. Biscuits should be used within 5-7 days. They can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 14 days. They can also be stored in the freezer to be saved even longer
Are you going to make this Disney dog treat recipe for your pet to celebrate today? Let us know in the comments.