Come on everybody, put your ears on! It’s your birthday! Since planning a trip to Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is often a special occasion coupled with another trip around the sun, I’m sure you want to know… Can I Get Into Disney for Free on My Birthday? Well, the answer may be different than you expected!
Can I Get Into Disney for Free on My Birthday?
Sorry, the answer is sadly, no. You no longer can get free admission to a Disney Park on your birthday. The Disney Parks Moms Panel constantly welcomes guests to ask their burning questions about U.S. based parks-goings-on, and this is a common question. It looks like Disney may have done too good of a job with a free birthday ticket PR campaign that ended more than a decade ago. A third-party website advertising the old process is still live, but the information is incorrect.
Years and years ago, in approximately 2009, the Walt Disney Company held a few campaigns in order to increase visitor capacity and promote celebrations at the same time. The formal “What Will You Celebrate” promotion ran for a full year, allowing Disney Parks guests to register for the birthday freebie of a park ticket.
The ProMotion company took the campaign to the streets, handing out Mickey Ear Balloons with gilded theme park tickets to over 31 cities to enhance the campaign. Needless to say, Disney fans, along with regular citizens, are still feeling the promotional effects of the birthday party celebration. According to ProMotion, over 7.3 million people viewed the campaign website and 20,000 people were referred to the birthday ticket at Magic Kingdom.
In 2009, when a prospective Disney guest registered on Disney’s Celebration website (the page no longer exists), they had a choice for the birthday freebie on their celebratory Disney vacation. The Guest was able to pick between the following once they registered and filled out the proper paperwork:
- A 1-day Magic Your Way ticket for you to use any time until your next birthday.
- A birthday fun card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-day base ticket for you to use on merchandise or activities
- A special FastPass+ for certain attractions at Walt Disney World Disney Theme Park (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, etc.) you visit on your birthday
While the campaign to get into Disney for free on your birthday has ended, the birthday celebration memories are still echoing in our minds. One day in the future, they might bring back this campaign.
Birthday Freebies at Disney
So if you can’t get into Disney for free on your birthday, then what can you get for free on your special day? There is a wealth of birthday treats for you when you visit a Disney park during your birthday celebration.
- At any Disney Park, Disney Springs, or Disney Resort Hotel, you can grab a birthday button and personalize it with your name. There is a different celebration button for anniversaries, first visit, and general celebrations, too!
- Birthday Wishes will come from both Cast Members and other Guests when you don one of these buttons. You never know when another “Happy Birthday!” will come your way!
- Occasionally, when visiting a table service restaurant, telling your server that it’s our birthday may result in a simple free dessert or a birthday song from Cast Members. We have not seen evidence of a free birthday entree for Guests.
- Free chocolate at Ghiradelli at Disney Springs
- Club Cool used to give you an Icee on your Birthday, but the location is closed.
The Give a Day, Get a Day Campaign
Aside from the Birthday Party park ticket that went with the historical What Will You Celebrate campaign, there was another swell of free tickets with the Give a Day, Get a Day Campaign. This promotion created to (again) increase attendance at theme parks and promote volunteer work.
Disney partnered with charity and non-profit organizations to provide volunteer opportunities where Guests that volunteered with these specific charities received a voucher good for one free admission to a Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort theme park.
This campaign officially ran from January 1, 2010, through December 15, 2010, but ended very early, as the allotment of one million free tickets was completely filled by the start of March. Disney fans may remember the Muppets were used to help advertise the promotion.
Perhaps one day, Disney will bring back the birthday campaign, or even hit the streets with 150,000 Mickey balloons to bring us joy a little closer to home. We’re sure to bring Disney magic to our own at-home celebrations. If you’re ready to celebrate your birthday at either Walt Disney World Resort or Disneyland Resort, give Academy Travel a call. They’ve got the ticket to send you to your destination in celebratory style. To get a free no-obligation quote, call 609-978-0740.
- Were you one of the lucky history guests to get in free on your birthday? Leave us a comment below!