If you haven’t yet watched Pixar’s Onward streaming on Disney+, you’re missing out! The story of brothers Barley and Ian’s quest for a Phoenix stone (you’ll have to watch to find out the rest of the magical tale) is both heartwarming and hilarious.
Now you can bring the magical world of Onward home with this chocolate fudge pancake recipe, complete with a Phoenix gem garnish.
What You Need (Recipe via Disney Family):
Brownie Batter Fudge Pancakes:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. preferred pancake mix
- 1 c. fudge cake mix or brownie mix
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (for greasing the griddle or skillet)
Chocolate Ganache Sauce:
- ½ c. heavy cream
- ½ c. (plus 2 tbsp.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Onward Phoenix Gem & Optional Decorations:
- ¼ c. orange melting candy wafers
- Yellow or white pearl dust
- Small brush, safe for kitchen use
- Diamond-shaped silicone mold
- Rainbow chip sprinkles
- Star sprinkles
What You Do:
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together pancake mix, cake or brownie mix, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips (if desired).
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing until combined. It is okay for the batter to be lumpy. Do NOT overmix or the pancakes will be heavy, rather than fluffy.
- Let the pancake batter to rest for at least 5 minutes while preparing either a skillet or griddle on medium-high heat.
- Once the batter and pan are ready, brush the surface of the skillet or griddle with the melted butter and add 1/3 c. batter to the center of the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Transfer the finished pancakes to a plate while cooking the remaining batter, 1/3 c. at a time. To prevent sticking, add more butter prior to pouring each pancake.
- To make the magical Phoenix gem, brush the inside of each facet of the silicone diamond mold with a small amount of pearl dust. Melt the orange candy wafers in the microwave in 30-second intervals at 50% power. Stir between each 30-second increment.
- Carefully spoon the orange candy melts into each diamond in your mold until they are all filled. Gently tap the bottom of the silicone mold on the counter to release air bubbles. Transfer to the refrigerator to set.
- Next, prepare the ganache. Transfer chocolate chips to a heatproof bowl. Add heavy cream to a small saucepan and heat on medium until it comes to a simmer. Do not boil.
- Carefully pour the cream over the chocolate chips. Let the chocolate melt for 3 minutes. Do not touch it during this time.
- Use a spoon or silicone spatula to stir the chocolate and cream together until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Remove the Phoenix gems from the refrigerator. You can either top each pancake stack with a gem or hide one inside! Pour warm ganache over the top of the pancakes. Sprinkle the top of each Onward pancake stack with the rainbow chips and sprinkles of your choice.
- Enjoy your magical Path of Peril inspired breakfast!
This chocolate Phoenix gem pancake recipe is more like dessert than breakfast, so it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser with your family on any weekend morning! It’s also the perfect special treat for Onward movie night. You won’t regret joining Barley, Ian, Laurel, the Manticore, and the rest of the gang on the adventure of a lifetime.