So as promised, we’re bringing you the fried version of the Galactic Grill Breakfast Burrito, the Breakfast Chimichanga. Though it seems at though isn’t a very “Disney” food item, it absolutely is! It’s one of Disneyland Resort’s most popular breakfast options. This deep fried bundle of goodness is great for starting your day off right at the happiest place on earth.
You can find this at Disneyland located in Frontierland right across from Big Thunder Mountain. The marketplace is called Ship to Shore and is right where the Mark Twain Riverboat boards. It’s a ready to go breakfast option that is super quick and in a central location to get over to a bunch of different lands.
Breakfast Chimichanga Recipe
This is totally adjustable with more or less of anything that you like or whatever you have in your kitchen at the time. These recipes are great for pantry pulls as I did for this recipe.
View this post on Instagram
I finally tried the breakfast chimichanga! It is scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, and cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla and deep fried. You can also add a tomatillo salsa on the side for an extra dollar. I really enjoyed this and the tortilla was perfectly crispy, but it’s just a tad bit too greasy for me to eat more than a couple times? I would say that this is definitely worth the hype though! You can only find this at Ship to Shore Marketplace, which is the fruit/hot foods stand next to Big Thunder. It’s also only $5.49, and potentially big enough to share, making this a super cheap breakfast option! They do run out pretty early so I’ve heard, so be sure to get there pretty soon after park opening. ・ #disneylandfood_ #disneylandfood #foodsofdisneyland #foodsofdisney #eatdisneyland #disneyeats #disneyfood @disneyeats #DisneyFoodBlog @disneyfoodblog #abc7eyewitness #disneyland #disneytreats #disneyblog #disneytravel #food #foodie #eeeeeats #foodstagram #foodphotography #shiptoshoremarketplace #columbia #marktwain #marktwainriverboat #riversofamerica #frontierland #bigthunder #breakfast #bacon #breakfastchimichanga #chimichanga #breakfastburrito
- 3 quarts of water
- 6 small red potatoes
- 2 strips of bacon
- 2 eggs
- Mexican Four Cheese Blend
- Burrito sized flour tortilla
- 4 cups of vegetable oil
- Tomatillo salsa
- Bring water to boil and drop in red potato. Cook for about 15 minutes and lay them out to cool on a cutting board.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook bacon thoroughly on medium-high heat. Make sure you don’t burn them! Set aside on the chopping board to cool.
- Whisk eggs and cook them scrambled in bacon grease. (Adds extra flavor.)
- Chop up bacon and potatoes into pieces. Leave out one piece of potato. Then combine with eggs.
- Heat your oil and allow for it to get to a good temperature about 7 minutes.
- Lay out your tortilla on a plate. Place the mixture in the tortilla and top with cheese.
- To close up your tortilla (a little easier than the burrito with less filling), fold in the left and right sides first. Make sure your corners are curving in not out or else you’ll have a hole in your burrito. Then fold in the side closer to you while still holding the left and right sides in tact. Roll the burrito to close up the rest of the rest of the way. Be sure to hug the burrito with your fingers so you don’t have any filling falling out.
- Test your oil temperature by dropping the piece of potato in it and make sure it doesn’t bubble too hard. Take the burrito and slowly place it in the oil. Fry on both sides for about 1-2 minutes to a golden brown and not a dark brown.
- Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Ta-da! You have a Chimichanga! Serve with tomatillo salsa. (I didn’t have any as you can see from the photo so regular salsa will do.)
Which is Better – Breakfast Chimichanga or Burrito?
Well, that’s up to what you like in textures! You do have a little bit of a fried component in hash browns inside the Burrito, and as you can see from that recipe, it’s heavy on the protein. It’s soft all around with the slight fresh tang of the pico de gallo. The Chimichanga has the great crunch of the fried tortilla that is just so fun to bite into. Then you get the ooey gooey cheese pull filled with eggs, potatoes, and crispy bacon.
Accompaniments to Complete Your Breakfast
Ship to Shore is a short walking distance to the Red Rose Taverne in Fantasyland. They have delicious breakfast options for the people with a sweet tooth. You can totally add a sweet note to your breakfast with a Brioche French Toast recipe inspired by the one from the Red Rose Taverne.
Red Rose Taverne is a Disney Beauty and the Beast inspired restaurant with its counterpart being Gaston’s Tavern of the Disney World restaurants. So said, with Gaston’s Famous Brew to LeFou’s Brew with similar fruity flavors of apple, mango, and passion fruit. These fruity drink are a perfect pairing for a breakfast chimichanga for a balanced meal.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for the Disneyland Ship to Shore Breakfast Chimichanga at home and are able to bring a piece of the Disneyland park magic easily to you.