A day before Disneyland reopens on April 30, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will open its doors back up to Guests. The hotel has been closed since March 2020, due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
While the Grand Californian will be open, there will be some major changes that Guests need to be aware of.
Firstly, Guests of the hotel will be required to adhere to all of Disneyland Resort’s health and safety guidelines. All hotel Guests age 2 and up must wear a mask at all times when not in their hotel room or eating or drinking. Masks are also not required for those Guests who are actively swimming. The hotel may remove Guests who refuse to follow these guidelines.
There will also be a number of experiences that will not be available at the Grand Californian when it reopens. According to Disney, the following experiences will be unavailable:
- Tenaya Spa at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
- Select hotel dining and character dining
- In-room dining service
- Art of Craft Tour
- Children’s lobby entertainment areas
- Extra Magic Hour benefit
- Instructor-led fitness classes
- Special classes and programs
- Character experiences
Not all dining locations will be available when the Grand Californian reopens. Currently, the dining options that will be available include The Hearthstone Lounge, the GCH Craftsman Bar, and GCH Craftsman Grill. Mobile ordering will be available at the GCH Craftsman Grill.
Napa Rose and Storytellers Café remain closed at this time and will open at a later date.
While the swimming pools at the Grand Californian will be operational, hours may be reduced. Pool cabanas will be available for an additional fee. Guests will be required to wear masks in the swimming pool area unless actively swimming. Pools will also have a reduced capacity to keep Guests socially distanced. Waterslides will also be closed at this time.
There will also be a change in certain resort operations, including:
- Bell Services will deliver luggage to rooms, but will not escort Guests
- Club-level service is temporarily unavailable
- Deliveries may only be made to occupied rooms
- Disney Floral & Gifts, including in-room celebrations, will not be available
- Dry-cleaning and valet laundry services will be unavailable; self-service laundry will remain available
- Shipping services will be unavailable
In an effort to manage theme park capacity, Disney will also be suspending the operation of their Extra Magic Hour. Before the resort closure, hotel Guests were given the opportunity to visit either Disneyland or California Adventure on certain days an hour before the parks opened. There is no word on when Extra Magic Hour will return.
The Grand Californian will also be performing enhanced cleaning services throughout the hotel. According to the Grand Californian website, Guests can expect:
Prior to your arrival, your room will undergo thorough cleaning—with attention to:
- High-touch areas, like TV remotes and door handles
- Floors, which will be vacuumed between Guests
- Housekeeping tools, which shall be cleaned between room cleanings
Inside your room, you’ll find:
- Individually wrapped items glassware and TV remotes
- Double-cased pillows
- Additional items that have been cleaned, sealed or wrapped in single-use packaging
During your stay, your room will receive a light cleaning service every other day, which will include:
- Removal of trash and used towels
- Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout the room and bathroom
- Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
- Vacuuming if needed
The Grand Californian notes that Guests may decline the every-other-day cleaning service, should they choose to.
It is important that all Guests know that staying at the Grand Californian will not guarantee entry into the parks. Separate park reservations must be made for hotel Guests who want to visit either Disneyland or California Adventure Park. Also, DVC Guests will be welcomed back on May 2nd.
Please note that all of these changes being made at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa are subject to change at any time. Inside the Magic will keep you updated if we hear of any changes made to current policies!
Do you plan on booking a stay at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa? Let us know below!
Click here to get started booking your Disney Resort vacation!