If you’re missing the Disney California Adventure theme park as much as we are, you’re in for a (literal) treat with this recipe.
Taken straight from the Off the Cob kiosk at the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival in 2018, this delicious Caramel Popcorn Crispy Pop recipe will have you feeling like you’re strolling down Pixar Pier (or at least a county fair) in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Caramel Popcorn Crispy Pop (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10-ounce package miniature marshmallows
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups caramel popcorn
- 7 ounces dipping chocolate, melted
- Freeze-dried corn kernels (optional)
- Wooden sticks
What You Do:
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting and add marshmallows, stirring until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add cereal, then popcorn, and stir until well coated.
- With buttered hands, scoop out 1/2 cup and shape into a ball and place on parchment paper. Repeat with remaining mix.
- Push wooden sticks into each pop; gently wiggle stick and remove.
- Dip sticks in melted chocolate then insert back into pop. Let chocolate set at least 10 minutes (this will hold the stick in place).
- Dip pop halfway in melted chocolate and use fingers to lightly rub over surface to entirely coat. (Layer of chocolate should be thin.)
- Sprinkle with freeze-dried corn kernels, optional. Let stand until firm. Makes 12 popcorn treats.
The Disney Parks culinary team included the following note with this recipe:
Leave the stovetop off and use your microwave. Melt butter in large microwaveable bowl on high for 45 seconds. Add marshmallows and toss to coat, then microwave 1 1/2 minutes or until just melted. Stir in cereal and popcorn. Skip the freeze-dried corn and let kids decorate with sprinkles.
These crispy popcorn treats would be perfect year-round, whether you serve them at a 4th of July summer barbecue or make them on a crisp fall afternoon, this Disney Parks treat will be a hit with all ages! They could also be served without sticks as popcorn balls.
Are you going to make the Disney Caramel Crispy Popcorn Pop recipe soon? What tasty treat are you most looking forward to when the California Adventure Food & Wine Festival returns?