Nothing says “summer” like ice cream sandwiches, and nothing says “Disney” like hidden Mickeys. Combine a sweet summer treat with the mouse who started it all with these Mickey Mouse ice cream sandwiches!
Perfect for a Mickey and Minnie birthday party or an everyday dessert for your family, this Disney ice cream sandwich recipe requires basic ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
Hidden Mickey Ice Cream Sandwiches (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
- Small Mickey cookie cutter or Mickey template, cardstock, and scissors
- 1 Cup (or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tsp baking power
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Cup rainbow sprinkles
- Various ice cream flavors
- 3 1/2″ round cookie cutter
What You Do:
1. If using the Mickey template, download, print, and cut it out.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
3. With a stand or handheld mixer on medium-low speed, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until they are well combined.
4. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder, and add dry mixture to the wet mixture, one cup at a time, until it is completely incorporated. Add the rainbow sprinkles and mix on low speed until just combined.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. In the meantime, let’s prepare the ice cream to make them sandwich-ready. Scoop each flavor of ice cream to create one layer at a time (each should be 1/2″ thick). Scoop vanilla ice cream first into the cake pan and flatten it out. Then, add the chocolate, followed by the strawberry ice cream to create 3 separate layers. Place into freezer and allow to set.
7. Take cookie dough out from fridge and let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. Roll out the dough to about 1/4″ thick.
8. Cut out circle shapes with round cookie cutter. Then for half, cut out a mini Mickey shape in the center (either with cookie cutter or a knife and the Mickey template).
9. Place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden on the edges. Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack before assembling the ice cream sandwiches.
10. Take the ice cream out of the freezer. Using the same cookie cutter you used to cut the cookies with, cut circles into the pan of ice cream and carefully lift the ice cream discs out. Place in between 2 cookies—have the cookie with the Mickey cutout on top so that the ice cream shows through. If ice cream has softened, place back into the freezer for 15 minutes to set.
Now you’re ready to celebrate! We believe every day is worthy of a party, so don’t hesitate to make this delicious Disney dessert even on an average Wednesday.
Tell us if you’re going to try this Hidden Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich recipe soon in the comments!