Today, we’re sharing the full recipe to celebrate National Hamburger Day!
Hawaiian Cheeseburger With Green Papaya Slaw (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
- 2 c pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp mango juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp mirin (sweet Asian wine)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sriracha (Asian chili sauce)
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
Green Papaya Slaw:
- 3/4 lb green papaya, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 lb jicama, peeled and shredded
- 2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally into 1/4-by-1 1/2-inch long pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped.
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp cold water
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 12 pieces bacon
- 6 fresh pineapple rings
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, shaped into 6 equal patties
- 6 whole-grain hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 slices havarti cheese
- 6 pieces iceberg lettuce
- 6 slices ripe tomato
What You Do:
For Slaw Dressing:
1. Place pineapple juice in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup.
2. Combine pineapple juice reduction, mango juice, oil, lime juice, mirin, vinegar, honey, mustard powder, fish sauce, sesame oil, salt, onion powder, pepper, sriracha, and ground ginger in a blender. Puree until smooth; refrigerate until ready to use.
For Green Papaya Slaw:
1. Combine shredded papaya, shredded jicama, celery, bell pepper and cilantro in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Toss with dressing 30 minutes before serving.
For Teriyaki Sauce:
1. Combine brown sugar and soy sauce in small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved.
3. Add cornstarch mixture to soy sauce mixture; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
For Hawaiian Cheeseburgers:
1. Cook bacon in a sauté pan over medium heat until crisp. Place on a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
2. Season pineapple on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear pineapple in a grill pan or sauté pan over medium heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Season both sides of beef patties with salt and pepper. Cook in a grill pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat, until cooked through. Just before burgers are done, place a piece of cheese on top of each patty allow to melt. Add pineapple and bacon on top of cheese.
4. Place lettuce on the bottom halves of buns and top each with a slice of tomato. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Place cheeseburger on top of tomato. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce and top with top half of bun. Serve with green papaya slaw.
Enjoy your Disneyland meal! Light some tiki torches, dine al fresco, and pretend you’re having an evening out at Tangaroa Terrace. You can even add a Trader Sam’s or Aulani cocktail to up the tropical factor!
Are you going to make Disneyland Hawaiian Cheeseburgers tonight? Tell us in the comments!