Everyone deserves to be able to have Mickey Beignets! There are a ton of people who cannot have them due to a gluten allergy or will have a cheat day at the Disney Parks just because they’re simply irresistible. What many people don’t know though is that at Disney World’s Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory at Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter Resort in Orlando, Florida, their Disney chef serves up a hot order of Gluten Free Beignets. If you can’t get there, you can still have this guilt free fried dough yumminess at home!
Gluten Free Beignets Recipe
Recipe Source: Disney Family
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (100°F)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons powdered gluten-free egg replacer
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pound gluten-free pizza crust mix
- Confectioners’ sugar for finishing
- Combine warm water and yeast in a small bowl; set aside 5 minutes.
- Combine apple juice, applesauce, sugar, egg replacer, salt, oil, and cinnamon in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until well combined.
- Add pizza crust mix, 1/4 cup at a time, until soft dough forms (you will not use all of mix). Turn dough out onto a work surface dusted with remaining pizza crust mix. Knead until dough is no longer sticky but still soft.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness, and cut into 2×3-inch pieces. Set aside at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into a deep-sided pot until it reaches 2 inches up sides; heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- Lightly press beignets to flatten slightly.
- Add a few beignets to oil; fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once.
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Dust with a generous amount of confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Tip: The gluten free beignets are not Mickey Shaped at Sassagoula, but you can make them Mickey-shaped Beignets at home! Just use your Mickey cookie cutter to make them Mickey-shaped Beignets in step 4.
If you’re not gluten free, you can try this Mickey-shaped Beignets recipe. At the bottom, you’ll also be able to find ways to make other Beignet flavors like Pumpkin Spice Beignets and ideas to top your Mickey Beignet with toppings other than ice cream. Make yourself a glass of Mint Julep, sit back, relax outside with this Disney snack, and imagine you’re over by Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square at Disneyland. It’s better to eat them outside anyways because powdered sugar over fried dough can get a little messy!