Disney California Adventure is my favorite Disney theme park. While I can’t get enough of the Buena Vista Street and Pixar Pier, the theming in Cars Land truly transports you to another world.
When you walk through the gates of Radiator Springs, you feel you’re on a real-life Cars set, complete with Flo’s V8 Cafe! Today, we’re sharing the recipe for the amazing Mud Pie-O-Rama dessert that is served daily at Flo’s diner.
Chocolate Mud Pie-O-Rama From Flo’s V8 Cafe (Courtesy of Disney)
What You Need:
Chocolate Mud Filling
2 c unsalted butter
1 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 c sugar
Chocolate Pie Dough
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c bittersweet chocolate chips
1 c heavy cream
1 tsp coffee extract
What You Do:
For Chocolate Mud Filling:
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, mixing until smooth; take off heat and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and sugar.
- Add flour and sugar mixture to egg and vanilla mixture, whisking to combine. Use an immersion blender to thoroughly combine until completely smooth.
- Add chocolate and butter mixture; using immersion blender, mix until smooth and completely incorporated.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 24 hours.
For Chocolate Pie Dough:
- Mix sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Slowly add eggs and vanilla extract until dough holds together and is no longer sticky.
- Dump dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap on the counter; press dough into a rough circle and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
For Coffee Ganache:
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heatproof bowl.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan; pour hot cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in coffee extract.
To Assemble Dessert:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll chocolate pie dough to ¼-inch thickness; if making mini pies, cut into eight 6-inch circles.
- Press dough into 9-inch pie tin or eight 4-inch pie tins; sides should reach the outermost part of the lip on the tin.
- Fill large shell ¾ full with filling or scoop ½ cup chocolate mud batter into each mini shell.
- Bake approximately 40 to 45 minutes for a large pie or 15 minutes for mini pies.
- Cool to room temperature. Add about 1 tablespoon coffee ganache into centers of pie slices (or mini pies) before serving.
This Disney Parks recipe is designed to make one 9-inch chocolate pie or eight 4-inch chocolate pies, depending on your needs.
Tell us if you’re going to try Flo’s V8 Cafe Mud-O-Rama pie soon!