You just got off from riding Radiator Springs Racers and you’re hungry. What’s the first thing you see? Flo’s V8 Cafe. You could grab scrambled eggs off their great breakfast menu or maybe Flo’s Famous Fried Chicken for lunch, which is super delicious. But maybe you want something a little lighter because Cozy Cone has tons of fun snacks you want later. Bring on the vegetarian options!
Flo’s V-8 Café Veggie Tater Casserole
Flo’s V8 Cafe has a vegetarian and vegan option for those who has a preferred diet, but there’s one dish that’s no longer on the menu that surely missed. This vegetarian dish gives a whole new spin to roasted veggies. The Veggie Tater Bake Casserole is luckily super easy to make at home. When you add cheese, mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables together, you can make even the non-vegetable lovers like this meal especially when paired with a side of fresh fruit!
Recipe Source: Disney Parks
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
- 2/3 cup diced zucchini
- 2/3 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetarian sausage crumbles, such as Morningstar Farms
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 6 deli-style slices cheddar or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- Place bulgur in a large, heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water.
- Set aside for 15 minutes; drain excess water and set bulgur aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan; add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, squash, and peppers.
- Cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sausage crumbles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- Add bulgur to pan, stirring to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish, packing firmly with a spatula.
- Spread mashed potatoes over mixture, then top with cheddar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and light brown at the edges.
- Let cool 3 to 4 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.
If there are any people with food allergies in your party, Flo’s V-8 Cafe is also a great place to go with tons of allergy friendly options from gluten free to fish/shellfish, milk, peanut/tree nut, and soy free.
Making Our Way Through DCA Food
If you want to sick to the Cars Route 66 theme, you can always stop by Cozy Cone Motel for a Mac ‘N’ Cheese. Or maybe it’s during the time of Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival and you want to try the different stops at the Festival Marketplace. And if you’re craving something sweet head down to Pixar Pier. Their Jack-Jack Num Num Cookies are so yummy!