Have you ever found yourself watching a Disney or ABC television show and thought “Who the heck writes this stuff?” Well, soon it will be these 13 young men and women.
Walt Disney Television has just released names of the 13 writers selected to participate in the 2020 Writing Program. Formerly known as the Disney|ABC Writing Program, it takes budding professional writers under its wing–hiring them as staff writers for Walt Disney Television shows–to provide a special kind of advanced professional development.
The list includes:
- Darnell Jones (Langsing, Michigan)
- News marketing associate and former writers’ assistant.
- Disney Channel Eunetta T. Boone Comedy Writer Scholar
- Allyson Philobos (Corona, California)
- Family Guy writers’ assistant
- Feraz Ozel (Los Gatos, California)
- Stand-up comedian.
- Gabriela Lugo (Managua, Nicaragua)
- Feature film line producer.
- Tasha Henderson (Dallas, Texas)
- Reality television producer.
- Vicky Castro (Miami, Florida)
- Advertising exec-turned-development-assistant.
- Adrian Vina (Edinburg, Texas)
- Television feature writer.
- David Ramirez (Bogota, Colombia)
- Evil writers’ production assistant
- Keisha Ansley (Tallahassee, Florida)
- Black-ish production assistant
- Paola Villegas (La Paz, Bolivia)
- Narcos writers’ assistant
- T Zhang (Hunan, China)
- Zaiver Sinnett (Cairo, West Virginia)
- Grey’s Anatomy producers’ assistant
- Zoe Cheng (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- “Dynasty” writers’ production assistant
The Impact of “the New Kids”
Vice President, Creative Talent Development & Inclusion, Tim McNeal, was quoted talking about the impact these new writers will have on their projects and their audiences.
“The Creative Talent Development & Inclusion team is proud to launch this extremely talented group of writers into the next phase of their career. Their drive and diverse backgrounds represent today’s storytelling, and we look forward to seeing them shape the next generation of producers and showrunners.”
Program participants last year displayed such a significant addition to their teams that they went on to secure lasting staffing assignments on ABC shows such as The Good Doctor, The Rookie, mixed-ish, United We Fall, The Baker and the Beauty, The Goldbergs as well as Disney Channel’s Just Roll With It.
If you want to take your shot and apply for the 2021 program, you can find all the information you need by clicking here.
Do you know anybody who has applied or would be great for this program? Let us know in the comments!