It will be a day long remembered – again. The annual Hyperspace Hoopla is here as Star Wars Weekends 2013 launches at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. And as has been the tradition for many years, the Jedi, Sith, and other intergalactic creatures have taken to the stage to battle in the Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars.
It’s the first Hyperspace Hoopla since Disney purchased Lucasfilm and Star Wars, but the show went on mostly following the same format as in previous years, with one big Disney-style surprise at the end.
As the good guys face off against the evil Empire, this year’s performances includes Emperor Palpatine dancing to the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right to Party”, Darth Vader and Boba Fett breaking it down to Michael Jackson’s “Bad”, Chewbacca and Ewoks grooving to Outkast’s “Hey Ya” and, naturally, a huge group performances of Gangnam Style, the Harlem Shake, and even Sweet Brown’s viral hit “Ain’t Nobody Got Time for That.” Plus, Jedi Mickey makes a first-ever appearance with a surprise finale dance.
And as with every year, the results are simply hilarious, as seen in the full videos below, followed by a few highlights.
Video: Full Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars 2013 at Walt Disney World
Video: Full Hyperspace Hoopla 2013 show (including the Dance-Off)
Hyperspace Hoopla and Dance-Off With the Star Wars Stars 2013 highlights and individual songs:
Video: Emperor Palpatine dances to Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right to Party”
Video: Chewbacca, Slave Leia, and Padme dance to Outkast’s “Hey Ya”
Video: Darth Vader and Boba Fett dance to Michael Jackson’s “Bad”
Video: Star Wars characters dance to Psy’s “Gangnam Style”
Video: Star Wars characters do the “Harlem Shake”
Video: Dance-Off With the Star Wars Stars finale medley including Taylor Swift’s “Trouble”
Video: Cantina Band (Figrin D’an and the Modal Nodes) perform a medley including “Ain’t Nobody Got Time For That”
Video: Jedi Mickey dances to Pitbull, Michael Jackson in a surprise finale appearance
Individual dance songs:
1. Fight For Your Right to Party – Beastie Boys
2. Hey Ya – Outkast
3. Bad – Michael Jackson
Cantina Band medley songs:
1. Ain’t Nobody Got Time For That by Sweet Brown
2. Bug Hunt by Skrillex (off the Wreck-It Ralph soundtrack)
3. Beauty and A Beat by Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj
4. I Cry by Flo Rida
5. Cinema by Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go
6. Let’s Go by Calvin Harris ft. Ne-Yo
Here’s the list of finale medley songs:
1. Don’t Stop the Party – Pitbull
2. Scream and Shout – will.i.am & Britney Spears
3. Thrift Shop – Macklemore and Lewis
4. Blow Me One Last Kiss – Pink
5. Runaway Baby – Bruno Mars
6. Locked Out of Heaven – Bruno Mars
7. I Knew You Were Trouble – Taylor Swift
8. Harlem Shake – Baauer
9. Good Time – Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City
10. Gangnam Style / 2 Legit 2 Quit – Psy and MC Hammer
Songs Jedi Mickey danced to:
1. Feel This Moment by Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera
2. Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson
Jedi Mickey finishing off the show was definitely a first for Hyperspace Hoopla, but with Disney’s recent acquisition of Lucasfilm, it’s surely not the last time we see further integration between the world of Star Wars and Disney’s classic characters. With Mickey’s appearance it’s clear that Disney was emphasizing that they own Star Wars now.
Each day of Star Wars Weekends ends with the Hyperspace Hoopla and Dance-Off with the Star Wars Stars on the big stage in front of the park’s Sorcerer Mickey hat icon, taking place every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday through June 9, 2013, included with admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
More photos from the Dance-Off With the Star Wars Stars 2013: