Disneyland Resort is officially launching its new Annual Pass program — officially now dubbed the Magic Key Pass program — on Wednesday, August 25. And now, Disney Parks Blog is answering all of the most frequently asked questions!
If you are planning to purchase a Disneyland Magic Key, and, specifically, you want to know how you can upgrade an existing Disneyland/California Adventure Park ticket to a Magic Key, keep reading!
Something Disney fans (including those Legacy Passholders, the name Disney gave former Annual Passholders when they ended the Passholder program months ago) have been concerned about is how upgrades will work, as many Disneyland Resort Guests have theme park tickets that they would like to upgrade to Annual Passes (AKA Magic Key Passes). So, are you actually able to upgrade your Disneyland ticket to a Magic Key? The answer is yes! Disneyland ticket upgrades are available, but there are some key details you need to know.
Now, we have confirmed exactly how you can upgrade so you can be among the first Magic Key Holders at Disneyland (trust us — you want to be!). Great news — you can upgrade online or directly in the Disneyland app in order to convert your Disneyland ticket to an Annual Pass!
Here’s what to know if you are planning to upgrade a Park ticket to a Magic Key:
I’d like to upgrade my existing theme park ticket to a Magic Key pass. Is that doable?
Yes, most theme park tickets are upgradeable to a Magic Key pass. Fully used, or partially used and expired, theme park admission media, complimentary ticket media, special event ticket media and ticket media stating its ineligibility for an upgrade (such as the California Resident promotional ticket) may not be upgraded to a Magic Key pass.
How will I upgrade my eligible theme park ticket to a Magic Key pass?
If you have a partially used, unexpired ticket that is upgradable, you can do so directly on the Disneyland app! Visit Disneyland.com to learn more.
The Disneyland website also outlines step-by-step instructions for upgrading to a Disneyland Resort Magic Key Pass:
Where and When to Upgrade Your Ticket
Disneyland Resort theme park tickets may be upgraded by following these simple steps via the Disneyland app:
- Visit the Tickets and Passes screen
- One-day tickets – link your ticket to your Disney account and upgrade by midnight on the day of your visit to the Disneyland Resort.
- Multi-day tickets – upgrade on or before the last valid day of your ticket.
- An used ticket may not be upgraded after the stated date and time, but the value of a wholly, unused ticket may be applied towards the purchase of a Magic Key pass at any time.
- A ticket may only be upgraded to a Magic Key pass that is equal or greater in value than the ticket.
- A ticket may only be upgraded to a single Magic Key pass.
- Magic Key passes do not guarantee reservation-based admission, especially during high attendance periods. Subject to capacity constraints.
- Admission excludes activities/events separately priced. Magic Key types are limited in quantity, and not all Magic Key types may be available at any given time.
- Ticket-based park reservations will be cancelled after upgrade. Guests will need to book new reservations with their new Magic Key pass.
View the Magic Key Terms and Conditions
Magic Key Passes — the reimagined Disneyland Resort Annual Passes (AKA Annual Passports) — officially go on sale this Wednesday, August 25. The Annual Passport program ended at Disneyland in January 2021, and while the theme parks were closed for an extended period of time, Disneyland Resort reimagined the AP program. Now, Magic Keys are being introduced, and there is a lot that you should know before purchasing one. Click here for our guide!
Remember: You need both a valid theme park admission (such as a Disneyland ticket or Magic Key Pass, AKA an Annual Pass) as well as a Park reservation in order to enter Disneyland or California Adventure.
Do you plan to purchase a Magic Key so you can visit Disneyland and Disney California Adventure (with special perks!) several times a year? Let us know in the comments!