If you’re going a little stir crazy, Disney crafts are the perfect way to break-up your routine and add some magic to even the most mundane day. These three DIY Mickey decor items will add Disney flair to any room of the house.
The best part? There’s no sewing machine required for any of these Mickey Mouse craft projects and you probably already have all of the supplies you need!
No-Sew Mickey Rope Basket
If you’ve been on a spring cleaning organizing frenzy, you might have realized that you could use more baskets and totes. This no-sew Mickey rope basket project is perfect for holding everything from kids’ toys to kitchen odds and ends.
No matter where you need some extra storage, Mickey shaped baskets are sure to make your daily life more fun!
- 11 yards of 1/4-inch cotton piping (usually sold in the upholstery department of craft stores)
- Black fabric dye
- Small hot glue gun
- Dye 4 yards of the cotton piping, following the instructions on your package, and allow to dry completely.
- Cut the black piping in half. Each 2-yard section will become a Mickey ear.
- Start winding the black piping into a spiral shape and secure with hot glue. Glue the center carefully to ensure the end of the piping is tucked under and doesn’t unravel.
- Continue gluing with small amounts of hot glue.
- When you reach the last couple of rounds, place the next row of cording on the outer edge of the previous row to form a basket shape. To prevent unraveling, “seal” the end with hot glue.
- Repeat steps 3-5 using the remaining 7 yards of white piping. This will create Mickey’s head. The flat base of the basket should be approximately 3 ½ inches in diameter.
- Carefully glue each ear onto the head to finish the basket.
Hidden Mickey Pom-Pom Rug
This Hidden Mickey pom pom rug is the perfect pop of Disney fun for a playroom, bedroom, or bathroom! It’s a great project for older kids and parents to work on together, but make sure all cutting is done by an adult.
- Colorful yarn
- 3″ pom pom maker (or fork)
- 2 x 4″ rug pad
- To make a pom pom with a pom pom maker, start by wrapping yarn around one of the pom pom maker arms. Go back and forth along the arm until the pom pom looks full and fluffy.
- Without cutting the yarn, close that arm, and continue wrapping around the pom pom maker’s second arm.
- Close the second arm, then trim the yarn.
- Use your scissors to cut along the middle of each arm all the way around.
- Use a new piece of yarn to wrap around the center of the pom pom maker. Pull it tightly, knot once as tightly as possible, then create a second knot to secure it.
- Open the pom pom maker’s arms.
- Trim the pom pom if needed, but don’t cut the extra long pieces that are tied around the center.
- Repeat steps 1-7 make about 80 pom poms. Remember to make at least three of each color you want to use for your Hidden Mickey shapes!
- Lay your rug pad on a flat surface and sketch out a Mickey shape with your pen. Then cut out the shape. It’s a good idea to arrange the poms before you cut to make sure you have enough.
- Tie the pom poms to the rug pad starting from the middle and working your way to the edge. Don’t forget to include your Hidden Mickeys!
- Trim all the extra yarn on the bottom of your new rug and enjoy!
DIY Mickey Mouse Pillow
Whether you use this cute Mickey accent pillow in your living room or bedroom, there’s no doubt it will make you smile every time you see it. It’s a great Disney kids’ activity for your entire family to participate in, too! Each child can even make a Mickey pillow using his or her favorite color.
- Regular paper or cardstock
- Decorative pillow with removable insert
- Multi-colored craft pom poms
- Hot glue
- Remove pillow insert to create a flat workspace.
- Download and print the Mickey Mouse template. Use the template to lightly trace a Mickey shape onto your pillow cover.
- Start hot gluing pom poms to the pillow. Remember, you can use any colors you want!
- Continue layering your pom poms until you fill the whole Mickey shape. Let the glue dry completely and proudly display your pillow!