Want to see Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge as it gets ready to open at Disneyland? Stay up to date with us here.
Merchandise offerings at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge really will be out of this world as they all play a vital role in the overall storytelling found within the new land. One exciting retail experience coming to the land’s lineup includes Handbuilt Lightsabers, where guests can actually design their own version of the legendary weapon as they find their own path in the Star Wars universe!
This exciting experience begins when a group known as the Gatherers ushers guests into a covert workshop packed with unusual parts and whimsical pieces collected from the far reaches of the galaxy. Here, guests work under the Gatherers’ guidance to construct one-of-a-kind lightsabers and bring them to life through the power of kyber crystals.
According to the official website, here’s what you can expect from the lightsaber experience:
Meet one of Savi’s Gatherers outside his workshop, where you’ll choose one of 4 available hilt themes and receive a cloisonné pin to identify your selection:
- Peace and Justice – Utilize salvaged scraps of fallen Jedi temples and crashed starships in Republic-era lightsaber designs that honor the galaxy’s former guardians.
- Power and Control – Originally forged by warriors from the dark side, objects used in this lightsaber style are rumored remnants from the Sith home world and abandoned temples.
- Elemental Nature – Craft a lightsaber from special components born from the Force, such as Brylark trees, Cartusion whale bones or Rancor teeth.
- Protection and Defense – Incorporate hilt materials bearing mysterious motifs and inscriptions that reconnect a lightsaber’s wielder with the ancient wellspring of the Force.
After choosing your hilt theme, the Gatherers will help you select the heart of your lightsaber—the kyber crystal, which is available in red, blue, green or violet.
Next, guests will begin assembling their hilt—parts will be provided based on your theme and cloisonné pin. Each box of parts includes:
- 1 hilt
- 4 sleeves (pick 2)
- 2 emitters (pick 1)
- 2 pommel caps (pick 1)
- 2 sets of activation plates and switches (pick 1 set)
Upon hilt completion, the unused parts will be collected by the Gatherers and returned to Savi’s inventory. These are not included with your lightsaber package.
Finally, the Gatherers will masterfully connect your hilt to a 36” lightsaber blade so you’re ready for anything the galaxy puts in your path!
Here is a closer look at the pricing information:
- $199.99 per lightsaber, plus tax
- Carry case included
- Additional customization items can be purchased at Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities
- Age Recommendation: 5+
- The experience area is limited to the builder and one Guest—at least one person in the party must be age 14 or older
- Custom lightsabers are nonrefundable and are not eligible for Annual Passholder or other discounts
- The Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers experience is subject to availability and reservations may be required
- If reservations are required, late arrivals may not be accommodated
As we reported earlier, this experience is quite intimate as it takes place in small groups of only 14 builders during 20-minutes sessions.
The Jedi weapons will make contact sounds and powering up and down noises, just like the lightsabers do in the “Star Wars” films.