Disney Cruise Line is known for providing amazing vacations, bringing guests to incredible destinations with breath-taking sights, mind-blowing entertainment and wonderful cultural experiences.
In 2019, Disney Cruise Line will add two new ports of call to their Northern Europe sailings: Nynäshamn and Gothenburg, Sweden. Both new stops will have plenty of exciting offerings for the whole family.
The picturesque port town of Nynäshamn offers some incredible sightseeing, as well as easy access to Stockholm, Sweden’s history-rich capital city. Disney offers some tips on visiting this beautiful city during your Disney Cruise:
- Before heading to the big city, don’t miss your chance to check out some of the area’s famous Viking rune stones. There are 27 of these ancient structures — you can find several of them along the old road between Djursnäs and Vansta.
- When you arrive in Stockholm, spend some time exploring the medieval streets of Gamla Stan, the city’s old town. Brimming with heritage and charm, this area is home to marvelous palaces and mansions and centuries-old churches and cathedrals.
- Be sure to visit one or two of Stockholm’s 100-plus museums devoted to the preservation and display of European paintings, sculptures and handicrafts. Two of the most popular are the renowned Nationalmuseum — it houses 16,000 paintings and 30,000 other works of art, including pieces by masters like Rembrandt, Alexander Roslin and Carl Larsson — and the Vasa Museum, which was specially built to preserve the world’s oldest ship, along with the 40,000 fascinating objects that were discovered with the vessel after 333 years at the bottom of the city harbor.
- Take a tour of Stadshuset (Stockholm City Hall) which has stood as a marvel of modern architecture since its completion in 1923. One of the daily tours will take you through two glorious main courts, the handsome council chamber and the Blue Hall — home of the Nobel Prize banquet.
Cruisers aboard the Disney Magic for a seven-night Northern European cruise departing from Copenhagen on August 1, 2019 will have the opportunity to visit Nynäshamn. You can explore more of this itinerary and book your cruise here.
Gothenburg, Sweden’s second-largest city, offers a wide variety of entertainment, including art, food and fun for the whole family. Disney provided some tips for visiting this city as well:
- Go island-hopping and explore the Gothenburg Archipelago, a chain of more than 20 islands teeming with beautiful beaches, delightful villages, and boating and fishing excursions.
- Choose from Gothenburg’s many family activities: There’s something for everyone at the country’s most popular amusement park, Liseberg, which has a magnificent sculpture garden and fantastic themed rides. Kids will also love the Universeum science center, where they can go on a rainforest safari, step into a space station and conduct an experiment in a science lab. Families will also enjoy a visit to the Garden Society of Gothenburg, a verdant park abounding with tiny cafes and flowers.
- Experience Gothenburg from a waterside perspective from onboard a Swedish paddan boat. A paddan boat tour is a lovely, leisurely way to explore the city’s quiet canals, low bridges and picturesque streets.
- Visit the Gothenburg Museum of Art to see the city’s foremost art collection, with works by French Impressionists as well as Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Picasso and Scandinavian masters like Edvard Munch and Carl Larsson.
The Disney Magic will take guests to Gothenburg as part of an 11-night Norwegian Fjords and Iceland cruise from Dover on July 21 and a seven-night Northern European cruise from Dover on August 18. You can book either one of these cruises here.
Which Disney Cruise Line destination would you most like to visit? Let us know in the comments below!