On Thursday, May 17 in New York City, the LEGO Fall 2018 Preview unveiled over 100 new building sets for the upcoming holiday season. Among the highlights were new sets and figures inspired by Harry Potter, Star Wars, Incredibles 2, and several classic Disney characters.
Earlier this week, LEGO revealed three new Harry Potter sets inspired by classic moments from the series: Hogwarts Whomping Willow, Hogwarts Express, and Quidditch Match. These fun new sets, which become available August 1, 2018, were on display in the showroom.
Hogwarts Whomping Willow – 753 pieces, ages 8+ ($69.99 USD)
Travel to Hogwarts with Harry and Ron in the flying Ford Anglia but watch out for the Whomping Willow before it’s too late!
- Includes 6 minifigures: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Seamus, Argus Filch, Snape, and a Hedwig owl figure
- Features the buildable Whomping Willow, Flying Ford Anglia, and Hogwarts castle section
- Whomping Willow features spinning branches and the Shrieking Shack tunnel entrance
- 3-level Hogwarts castle section features a gate, parapet walk, 3 turrets, dormitory with 2 beds, potions classroom with worktable, and Snape’s office
Hogwarts Express – 801 pieces, ages 8+ ($79.99 USD)
Join Harry, Ron, and Hermione on the journey to Hogwarts. Find your seats and get a chocolate frog from the Trolley Witch, but watch out for the Dementor! Luckily, Remus Lupin is on hand to shield Harry from the creature.
- Includes 5 minifigures: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Remus Lupin, and Trolley Witch, plus Dementor and Scabbers figures
- Features Kings Cross Platform 9 3/4 and Hogwarts Express train
- Platform features a railway bridge with a clock, steps that lead to a moving brick wall entrance, newspaper stand with 2 Daily Prophet newspapers, and a “Wanted” poster
- Hogwarts Express train features a carriage with 4 seats, removable side panel and roof, and sweets trolley
Quidditch Match – 500 pieces, ages 7+ ($39.99 USD)
Jump on your broom and enter the Quidditch Match! Join Harry, Hermione, and Professor Snape for some magical mischief during the game.
- Includes 6 minifigures: Harry, Hermione, Snape, Oliver Wood, Lucian Bole, and Marcus Flint
- Features Gryffindor house tower with an opening hatch, Slytherin house tower with pop-up fire spell function, Ravenclaw house tower with removable megaphone element, Hufflepuff house tower with scoreboard, and a base with 3 goalposts and rings, moving Keeper function, and Bludger stud shooter
In addition to the LEGO Harry Potter sets, the Wizarding World comes to life in LEGO form with two LEGO Fantastic Beasts sets. Each set will feature characters and scenes from “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and the upcoming “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” including the previously announced Grindelwald’s Escape set ($19.99 USD, available in August). Two more sets will be revealed later this year.
LEGO Star Wars building sets explore the characters, vehicles, and scenes from across the Star Wars galaxy. Set include scenes from the latest films “Solo: A Star Wars Story” and “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” as well as various other episodes of the Star Wars film series. Fans can also create two new buildable figures of Han Solo and a Range Trooper.
Two new LEGO Disney sets explore the scenes and stories of Rapunzel from Disney’s Tangled: The Series.
For younger builders, the new LEGO DUPLO Mickey’s Boat and Minnie’s Birthday Party sets feature bricks twice the size of standard LEGO bricks and introduce children as young as two to building.
These LEGO Juniors sets, which inspire builders aged 4+ with larger modular pieces, are based on Disney-Pixar’s Incredibles 2 and Disney’s The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast.
Throughout the LEGO Fall 2018 Preview event, lots of fun decor was on display, including a huge holiday fireplace scene crafted with LEGO bricks.