A new lawsuit has been launched against the Universal Orlando Resort.

Universal Orlando Resort welcomed guests to Epic Universe in late May, introducing a slate of new attractions designed to expand the destination’s footprint and offerings.
Among them was Stardust Racers, a high-thrill roller coaster featuring a dual-launch system, top speeds exceeding 60 miles per hour, and a maximum height of 133 feet. Just a few months after the park’s debut, the attraction became the focus of a lengthy legal and regulatory review following the death of a guest.
On September 17, 32-year-old Kevin Rodriguez Zavala boarded Stardust Racers while visiting the park with his girlfriend. According to authorities, Zavala lost consciousness during the ride. When the coaster returned to the station, emergency responders were called, and he was transported to a nearby hospital. He was later pronounced dead.

In the immediate aftermath, Universal Orlando President and COO Karen Irwin addressed team members, stating that the attraction had been operating “as intended” at the time of the incident. Like many high-speed rides, Stardust Racers displays posted warnings advising guests with back, neck, or other medical conditions to avoid riding.
State and local authorities initiated standard investigative procedures. The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services opened an investigation into the attraction, while the Orange County Sheriff’s Office launched a manslaughter investigation, which is customary in cases involving non-natural deaths. Detectives reviewed whether negligence or other contributing factors were involved.
The medical examiner later determined that Zavala died from multiple blunt impact injuries. His girlfriend told investigators that Zavala had previously suffered a spinal injury and was taking medication during their visit. Officials did not confirm whether those factors contributed to the outcome.

Her sworn statement became part of the final investigative report. She recalled that before the coaster dispatched, a Universal team member “pushed down on [his] restraint multiple times.” Once the ride launched, she said her memory was fragmented, though she recalled moments during the attraction when she saw Zavala strike his head several times.
A medical examiner’s report released last Friday detailed the extent of Zavala’s injuries. CNN reported that he sustained a deep gash on the left side of his forehead, a fractured bony ridge above his eye, bleeding above the skull, bruising on his abdomen and arms, and fractures to his nose and right thigh bone.
Deputies later described Zavala’s girlfriend as “crying and suffering panic attacks” during follow-up interviews, noting that she was unable to complete a written statement due to her emotional state.

Zavala’s family retained civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who called for Universal to release ride data, maintenance records, inspection reports, and any available video footage. “A man died after boarding a ride that should have been safe. We will hold all responsible parties to account … We will demand full transparency,” Crump said.
He also referenced a prior out-of-court settlement involving Stardust Racers and another guest who reported injuries, questioning how the company responded to earlier concerns.
“We believe that these were warning signs that there was something wrong with the design of this ride and that they tried to blame the victims,” Crump said via Click Orlando, citing the previous guest’s warning that someone could be seriously injured or killed.

Earlier in December, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office and the Medical Examiner released their final reports, determining that Zavala’s death was accidental and ruling out criminal conduct. According to WESH 2 News, the case has now been officially closed.
Following the conclusion, Universal confirmed that the matter had been resolved. A spokesperson said via Click Orlando, “This matter has been amicably resolved. The family has asked for privacy at this time.” Ben Crump Law issued a similar statement on December 13, noting that the terms of the resolution are confidential.
But it seems that Universal may have more to contend with when it comes to Stardust Racers, as another guest–who attended the Epic Universe preview in early May before its official opening on May 22–has issued a lawsuit against the theme park giant.

“A North Carolina woman filed a lawsuit Thursday claiming she sustained ‘severe and permanent injuries’ after riding the Stardust Racers roller coaster at Epic Universe,” Click Orlando wrote. “Debbie Reinelt alleges that she required medical care after experiencing dizziness, headache, and nausea following her ride on May 5 during previews of the new theme park, which officially opened about two weeks later.”
According to court filings, Reinelt alleges that her head was “violently shaken” while riding the roller coaster. Notably, her lawsuit makes no reference to Kevin Rodriguez Zavala or the fatal incident that later drew widespread attention to the attraction.
However, additional details surrounding Reinelt’s claim have raised questions. News 6 reports that a woman sharing the same first and last name as the plaintiff—and who resides in the same small county in North Carolina—posted multiple photos to social media from Universal Orlando Resort on the same night the alleged injury is said to have occurred.

The images, which were taken at Epic Universe, show the woman smiling and posing in various areas of the park. One caption reads, “Very good day full of roller coasters,” accompanying photos that suggest an active evening spent enjoying attractions. The posts do not reference any injury, medical concern, or discomfort, according to the outlet.
Social media activity reviewed by News 6 further indicates that the woman continued visiting other Universal Orlando theme parks in the days following the alleged incident. Additional photos and posts document those visits, again without mention of any physical issues or the need for medical attention.
At no point in the social media posts does the woman reference being hurt, seeking help from park officials, or experiencing symptoms consistent with the injuries described in the lawsuit.

While it has not been independently confirmed that the woman in the photos is definitively the same individual named in the lawsuit, the matching name, location, and timing have drawn attention as the legal process unfolds.
Although the Zavala investigation has concluded, the incident continues to spark discussion within the theme park community about ride design, restraint systems, health warnings, and the communication of safety information. For guests, the situation underscores the importance of understanding posted restrictions and personal health considerations when experiencing high-thrill attractions.
How do you feel about the continued operation of Stardust Racers? Let Inside the Magic know in the comments down below!