After the Walt Disney World Resort announced that it would reopen its shopping and dining district, Disney Springs beginning May 20, Universal Orlando Resort has just announced it will reopen its shopping and dining district as well and even sooner.
Inside the Magic just received word that Universal’s CityWalk will begin a limited reopening as early as this week: Thursday, May 14.
According to the official press release:
We will begin limited operation of select venues at Universal Orlando’s CityWalk on Thursday, May 14 as we take the first steps toward reopening our destination. The health and safety of our guests and team members remains our top priority and we are taking specific measures that include screening our guests and team members, social distancing and requiring everyone to wear a face covering. We will also be limiting capacity at venues and increasing our already-aggressive cleaning and disinfection procedures.
Select venues are scheduled to open daily from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. and include:
- Select full-service restaurants and quick-service food locations: Red Oven Pizza Bakery, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant & Market, Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville (outside seating and Lone Palm area only), Voodoo Doughnut and Auntie Anne’s. Each restaurant will have a limited menu and limited seating available.
- Universal Studios Store, Hart & Huntington Tattoo Company’s retail shop and select merchandise carts as well as Hollywood Drive-In Golf
We will continue to monitor conditions and make adjustments as we move forward. Additional venues may be added over time and hours of operations are subject to change. We will continue to work closely with local health officials and our own health and safety experts and adhere to CDC guidelines. Here are specifics:
- Our team members will undergo temperature checks and will wear face coverings.
- We will implement temperature checks for each guest upon arrival. If a guest has a temperature of 100.4 degrees or greater, they will not be able to enter CityWalk.
- We will require guests to wear face coverings during their visit. We will have face coverings available for purchase at cost.
- Each venue will limit capacity to help enforce social distancing, and all chairs and tables will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected after each seating. High-touch surfaces throughout CityWalk will be frequently cleaned and disinfected as well.
- Cashless payments will be available at all venues, and self-parking will be complimentary.
We encourage guests to follow CDC guidelines and conduct temperature checks prior to arrival. Guests should evaluate their own risk as they determine whether to visit. And, in line with CDC guidelines, we specifically do not recommend older adults or individuals at high-risk with severe underlying medical conditions visit our facilities.
Universal Orlando’s theme parks and hotels as well as Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal CityWalk Hollywood remain closed through at least May 31.
Inside the Magic had previously reported rumors that stated CityWalk would open all restaurants starting May 11. This story rose from tweets from the resident Margaritaville and Starbucks chains that reportedly told employees to be ready to reopen on that day. But there was no official comment from Universal on the matter. Now, it appears those rumors were just a few days off.
CityWalk will only be open from 4 pm – 10 pm on May 14, and the CDC recommendations will be followed intensely. For all who go, it will no doubt be one of the most… memorable “Thirsty Thursdays” of your lives.
Are you thinking about going to Universal CityWalk this week? Let us know in the comments!