One of the most iconic and beloved Disney characters of all time is about to get the birthday celebration of a lifetime at Shanghai Disney Resort! The Disney Park is celebrating the hilarious duck with a multi-day celebration with a plethora of Donald-inspired merchandise, food, beverages, entertainment and more!
Since the opening of the Disney resort in 2016, Donald Duck has made hundreds of thousands of Chinese guests of all generations smile, laugh and quack as the character is a classic that many Disney fans grew up with. First appearing in 1936 in The China Press alongside Walt Disney’s other cartoon offerings, the duck grew in popularity and started to appear in a number of cartoons and comics throughout China. Since then, the character has gone on to be a fan favorite with Chinese guests of all ages! So where better than Shanghai Disney Resort to celebrate the fiery tempered duck?
Taking place from June 3 to 9, Donald Duck’s meet and greet location will feature celebratory birthday decor! Additionally, Mickey Mouse will also be handing the baton over to Donald to lead the Shanghai Disneyland Band, adding his charm and humor to the show as he guides the musicians through performances on Mickey Avenue.
On June 9 there will also be a special birthday ceremony near Storyteller Statue, featuring Donald Duck and his friends, Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy, and Pluto. Guests will also be invited to join the celebration and sing “Happy Birthday” to Donald!
Shanghai Disney Resort will also be introducing new additions to Donald-inspired merchandise offerings. These include new Donald photo clips, pins, cross-body bags and T-shirts. Guests can also find a new Donald headband featuring Donald’s feet flipping backward in the air.
The celebrations also include an all-new assortment of Donald Duck-themed food and beverage offerings, including ice creams, waffles, specialty drinks, and souvenir goblets to take home.
The resort will also be offering new birthday packages for guests looking to celebrate with their family and friends at one of several in-park restaurants. The packages feature a birthday feast, special beverages, a birthday cake featuring some of the most popular Disney characters, including Donald, and birthday party favors, with a variety of options available.
To commemorate his birthday, here are some fun facts about just how popular Donald Duck is amongst Chinese guests at Shanghai Disney Resort:
- Every year, around 150,000 guests visit Shanghai Disney Resort to say hello and take pictures with Donald Duck at the character meet and greet locations.
- Around 5 million guests have visited the 11-meter-tall Giant Donald Duck on Wishing Star Lake since its inauguration on July 9, 2018.
- Donald’s Waffles are one of the top-selling desserts in the park. If you stacked up all of the plain Donald’s Waffles sold at the resort since its Grand Opening, the waffle tower would be 18 times taller than the Enchanted Storybook Castle.
- Donald’s Duckburg Ices are one of the most popular ice-creams available in the park. If you lined up all of the Donald’s Duckburg Ices sold at the resort since its Grand Opening, the popsicles would stretch around the Shanghai Inner Ring Road 3.76 times.
- There are over 100 different kinds of Donald Duck-themed merchandise items available at Shanghai Disney Resort.
- The most popular Donald-themed merchandise items at Shanghai Disney Resort include Donald minibody hats, crossbody bags, mugs, Sleepy Donald headbands, and plush toys of all kind.