Guests at Pongu Pongu in Pandora – The World of Avatar have had the chance to try the mouth-watering Pongu Lumpia, and now you can re-create the pineapple cream cheese filled spring rolls at home.
For some background, “lumpia” are spring rolls of Chinese origin, commonly found as street food in Indonesia and the Philippines. They’re traditionally a savory snack, but the Disney culinary team created a sweet version for the new ‘Avatar’ land in Animal Kingdom.
To make your own Pongu Lumpia, follow the recipe below, courtesy of the Disney Parks blog.
- 10 spring roll wrappers
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- Oil for frying
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Carefully separate spring roll wrappers. Cover wrappers with moist paper towel to prevent drying.
3. Cut softened cream cheese into 10 equal pieces.
4. Place one spring roll wrapper on a cutting board. Place one piece of cream cheese in the center of the spring roll and spread evenly on wrapper, leaving a 3/4-inch border around the edges. Add 3 tablespoons of diced pineapple and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
5. Roll one edge of the wrapper towards the center. Fold in both sides and continue rolling. Moisten the edge with water to seal the lumpia.
6. Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
7. Place lumpia on prepared baking sheet and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
8. Preheat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan to 350°F. Fry lumpia for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
9. Roll in remaining sugar before serving.
For a look at some of the other delicious food offerings in Pandora – The World of Avatar, take a tour of Satu’li Canteen in our video below.
WATCH – SATU’LI CANTEEN TOUR: