New and exciting Theme Park attractions and additions arrive soon to amaze guests. Over the next several months 19 possible new experiences will soon emerge at Disney and Universal theme parks.
Inside the Magic has gathered the goods on a happy host of planned and rumored additions that are sure to take vacation to the next level. From new roller coasters and restaurants to entire themed lands, there’s plenty to enjoy!
The Walt Disney Company is moving full steam ahead with enhancements, improvement and additions to lure guests into amazing new themed environments and experiences. With new adventures featuring properties acquired over the past several years, like Marvel and Star Wars, expect over-the-top immersive thrills.
1. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Perhaps the most anticipated and ambitious addition to Disney’s arrives this year on both coasts. Disneyland (Anaheim, CA) has the honor of welcoming fans of the Force first (fitting, since Star Tours first landed at Disneyland in 1986) on May 31st. Walt Disney World Resort, in FL will see the East Coast version land on August 29th at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
2. Star Wars Hotel – Set to seamlessly connect to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Central Florida, an all-new Star Wars Hotel is currently under construction, on the southern side of the movie themed amusement park. “Families visiting the Star Wars Hotel will board a starship that will come alive with characters and stories. Every cabin will provide a view of space, providing a truly out-of-this-world experience. Guests will also be invited to dress in a Star Wars-themed attire to truly blend in as a resident of this new galaxy.” – ITM
3. Tron Coaster – When Walt Disney World’s first theme park, the Magic Kingdom, celebrates its 50th anniversary, the computer-driven world of “TRON” will debut in Tomorrowland. Officially known as “Tron Lightcycle Power Run,” the roller coaster attraction has been thrilling guests at Shanghai Disneyland since June 2016.
4. Re-imagined Entrance – With a nod towards the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow version of Epcot that debuted in 1982, imaganieers unveiled sweeping changes to the resort’s (WDW) second theme park. Leave-a-legacy monuments will disappear, giving way to more open space, extra pathways and additional green areas will soon enhance the park’s main entrance area.
5. Space Restaurant – Taking its theming queues from nearby Mission SPACE, Future World will soon have an out of this world dining experience. Giving guests the illusion of orbiting planet Earth, this exciting eatery will fill the space (pun intended) between Test Track and Mission SPACE.
6. Wonders of Live transformation – Dormant for a dozen years now, the health based Future World pavilion that once home to Star Tours clone, Body Wars, will soon receive new life. Perhaps as another nod to the original vision for Epcot, this exciting “play pavilion” is described Disney as an “innovative city.” Characters, interactive activities, and additional entertainment will soon (2021) swirl trough the shuttered attraction.
7. Guardians of the Galaxy – Arriving to celebrate Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary (2021), “Guardians of the Galaxy” moves into the former Universe of Energy location at Epcot’s Future World. The new indoor roller coaster will feature “immersive” ride vehicles designed to place guests into the heart of the action.
In addition to the aforementioned Guardians of the Galaxy coater, Disney will be making the most of its lucrative Marvel franchise. Marvel superhero experiences are destined for three of the company’s theme parks:
8. Disneyland (California) will see additional entertainment join its recent “Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission Breakout” changes to Tower of Terror. These include an “Awesome Dance-off,” and character encounters. Future additions include plans for The Collector’s Warehouse (store), and two new attractions (Doctor Strange: Journey into the Mystic Arts, and a Spider-Man adventure)
10. Walt Disney Studios Park (Paris) will be adding an Iron Man roller coaster, Spider-Man attraction, and an Ant-Man inspired restaurant. These will join the current Spider-Man encounter in the Backlot area of the theme park
Soon to Arrive Adventures
12. Skyliner Gondolas – Already in testing at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, this new method of travel around the resort is geared towards getting guests to vacation destinations with ease. Dubbed “Disney Skyliner” this updated sky-ride is set to begin operation later this year.
13. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railroad – Racing through the former Great Movie Ride attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will also feature Goofy as the whimsical train’s conductor when it opens later this year at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
14. New Nighttime Magic – Walt Disney World will soon be home to three exciting evening entertainment experiences! “Epcot Forever” will enjoy a limited engagement as the replacement to “Illuminations: Reflections of Earth” this summer. Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s centerpiece, the Tree of Life, will help celebrate the 25th anniversary of “The Lion King” with a “Tree of Life Awakenings” show. Celebrating the 30th year of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, “Wonderful World of Animation” will showcase the Disney’s cartoon legacy.
Imagineers at the Walt Disney Company aren’t the only ones bring fresh experiences to its parks. Universal Studios has more than a few new tempting treats to offer guests.
15. Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure – Hagrid will soon whisk muggles away on an exciting adventure through the Forbidden Forrest. Hagrid’ Motorbike Adventure replaces recently gutted Dragon Challenge roller coaster (formerly Dueling Dragons). Found within Islands of Adventure’s (FL) Wizarding World realm of Hogsmeade Village, the new roller coaster begins enchanting guests on June 13th this year.
16. Fantastic Worlds – With all the recently acquired property near International Drive (Orlando, FL), rumors have been swirling of a fourth theme park for Universal Orlando Resort. Possibly called “Fantastic Worlds,” the new park could include some of the same attractions slated for forthcoming “Super Nintendo World” in Japan.
17. Super Nintendo World – Mario comes to Japan – Universal Studios Japan, that is, in 2020. Anchored by a “Mario Kart” attraction, the new expansion includes attractions, shops and restaurants inspired by colorful worlds of Super Nintendo’s gaming system.
18. Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle – He-who-must-not-be-named will soon have his dark mark splashed across Hogwarts Castle! The sinister symbol is part of a new project show debuting at Universal Studios Hollywood this April. With a very limited run of only 17 days, the show kicks off with a special after hours event on April 11th and 12th.
19. Universal Studios Classic Monsters land – Universal Pictures invented the horror movie genre and built a deliciously dark legacy with classic creatures like Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Wolfman, The Insible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon and more. It seems only fitting that these legacy characters get their own dark land and attraction(s). While the company does pay tribute with the Classic Monster’s Cafe and Horror Make Up Show, rumors of horror-themed land emerged when “Fantastic Worlds” park was “leaked.” These stem from images of Dracula’s Castle as part of the discovered information.
As the theme park “wars” heat up, scores of new adventures await park visitors. This battle of the big parks has one clear winner – theme park guests.
Which of these 19 exciting adventures are you most looking forward to? Please share your wishes in the comments.