The future is now!
Some crazy news from Business Wire as Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE:SIX), and Samsung Electronics America, Inc., announced an awesome marketing partnership with Samsung as the “Official Technology Partner” of the world’s single largest regional theme park company.
With this new tech, revolutionary experiences will launch, including Virtual Reality (VR) Roller Coasters, using Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus. A fair amount of Six Flags’ most popular coasters will allow riders wearing Samsung Gear VR headsets to feel all the thrills of a regular coaster, including inverted loops and powerful twists and turns as gyros, steep drops, accelerometers and proximity sensors synchronize all in glorious 360-degree immersion.
“This remarkable technology is a definite game-changer for theme park rides and represents everything our brand stands for – delivering the most thrilling and innovative rides and attractions in the world,” said John Duffey, Six Flags President and CEO. “With the addition of these virtual reality coasters, Six Flags will be introducing more than double the number of new coasters and rides than we did in 2015, and more than any year in the last decade. Innovation is part of our DNA, and news in every park every year is driving higher guest satisfaction and building strong momentum for our company.”
“What makes this partnership so compelling for consumers and the broader tech industry alike is that both companies are committed to pushing the boundaries of what’s possible – and bringing a VR coaster to life is certainly a new and thrilling proposition,” said Marc Mathieu, chief marketing officer at Samsung Electronics America. “Now, people can be immersed into a totally new universe while riding a roller coaster, powered by Samsung Gear VR virtual reality devices. This transforms the modern roller coaster into a totally new, one of a kind sensorial experience – powered by technology. We are excited to work with the premiere brand in theme parks to bring Samsung’s VR technology to nine Six Flags locations across the U.S.”
Six Flags and Samsung are looking to launch the new virtual reality coasters at the beginning of this month and into the summer, with nine new coasters across the United States. Here are a few:
- Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, opening March 10 to Season Passholders as a special sneak preview
- Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia outside of Atlanta, opening March 12 to Season Passholders as a special sneak preview
- The New Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles, opening March 26 to Season Passholders as a special sneak preview
- Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka
- Steamin’ Demon at The Great Escape in Lake George, New York
- Goliath at La Ronde in Montreal.
Keeping with Six Flags’ bedfellow partnership with all things Superman, there’ll also be three Superman coasters, featuring a thrilling ride through Metropolis, a Battle with Lex Luthor, among other thrills.
- SUPERMAN Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio
- SUPERMAN The Ride at Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachusetts
- SUPERMAN Ride of Steel at Six Flags America in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.